Thread: Food grade container for growing bush zucchini

Food grade container for growing bush zucchini

Since I discovered a spiralizer, I love zucchini. Didn't like it much before that, but I grew it in the garden, since we would use it on grilled veggie skewers....but don't have a grill now. Anyhow......even though I have 9 food grade poly stock tanks in my garden, and could put a couple bush zucchini plants in one of those, I didn't want to attract squash bugs to the garden.....and to my butternut squash. They are so creepy. So I wanted some smaller containers for the back yard.

While trying to figure out what to use.......I remembered bushel baskets. I think a couple of those would be a great idea. I'd make sure the wood was all natural. It would probably slowly rot over the summer, but that's okay.
    What do you think of that idea? I was trying to get away from metal or plastic. I like the idea, and they aren't too expensive.

Since you ask for food grade, I have no idea!

My first thought was glass, actually. Remember the old glass water dispenser refills? Something like that but with the narrow part cut off.

I don't think I'd trust clay pots to be food safe when brand new (manufacturing process probably toxin laden, and who knows country of origin), and they would definitely accumulate toxins from fertilizer over their lifespan.

I would use those half barrels you see in the garden center, or I would just use metal containers--like washtubs--either of those should be fine.

Thanks lmerullo and Tybee.

I wouldn't trust clay pots either. Also, I wouldn't trust the half-barrels, as they have been burned and stored with various things. I suppose a purely steel container might be okay, but it can't contain zinc, as that can leach.
    I think I'll think about making (or having DH make) some wood boxes out of something like 1x12 panels. That way, I'll know they are okay.
    It's sure a pain in the butt to worry about these health issues.......but it's something I choose to do.
    Thanks again.

Not a cheap solution, necessarily, but what about used wine/whiskey/bourbon barrels? Certainly food-safe, robust, and likely big enough for what you want to do with them.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

I like Steve's idea...wonder what the cost would be?

Thanks Steve. Looks like they are about $50 and I would have concerns about what's been in them (since the alcohol). I had one once for a little water garden, but used a liner.
    I've pretty much decided to make a couple wood boxes. I'm sure the cost wouldn't be more than about $20.00.

Quote Originally Posted by CathyA View Post
    Thanks Steve. Looks like they are about $50 and I would have concerns about what's been in them (since the alcohol).
    I would think that, if they were purchased from a place that was not sketchy, there wouldn't be anything but alcohol in them. Then again, it's not an idea I pursued for myself longer than about 45 seconds.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Cathy, I use wooden half barrels to plant edibles as do my fellow Master gardeners. Also galvanized tubs, though we have inserted some bamboo liner inside the galvanized tub.

At our demonstration garden, we have about 15 or 20 wooden barrels with citrus, blueberries, smaller vegetables and herbs growing in them. Since they have had wine or whisky in them, we feel the wood is save and would have have been treated with chemicals before the original use.

One year I grew tomatoes upside down in buckets from the local bakery. They were buckets from frosting. There was no charge. Of course, they were plastic so you might not be interested.

Thread Information