Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: "Service Dogs"....

I'll go ahead and say it: I just object to dogs being every. damned. place. I. go. I'm not crazy about dogs (was bitten badly as a child), do not think they're like children, don't like any animal sniffing me (especially in personal areas -- I'm short) or jumping on me or peeing on plants I might have been interested in buying at the farmers market (yes, I've seen that plenty of times---owners are clueless). There are so many at our market that they and their humans impede foot traffic. I've seen dogfights, too long leashes, arguments and stink-eye.

I've heard people say, "oh he loves to come to the farmer's market! It's so helpful for him in becoming socialized!" Well, that's what dog parks are for, in my opinion, or your own neighborhood walkies.

For a legit service animal, I think people should be able to show documentation at any restaurant or store when they're asked. The vests should not be available on Amazon.
    My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far today, I have finished two bags of M&Ms and a chocolate cake. I feel better already!

Yeah, it's not politically correct these days to admit to not being a dog lover. My pet peeve is people who let their dogs off leash in parks. Or leave their little poo baggies on the trail.

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by KayLR View Post
    I'll go ahead and say it: I just object to dogs being every. damned. place. I. go. I'm not crazy about dogs (was bitten badly as a child), do not think they're like children, don't like any animal sniffing me (especially in personal areas -- I'm short) or jumping on me or peeing on plants I might have been interested in buying at the farmers market (yes, I've seen that plenty of times---owners are clueless). There are so many at our market that they and their humans impede foot traffic. I've seen dogfights, too long leashes, arguments and stink-eye.

I've heard people say, "oh he loves to come to the farmer's market! It's so helpful for him in becoming socialized!" Well, that's what dog parks are for, in my opinion, or your own neighborhood walkies.

For a legit service animal, I think people should be able to show documentation at any restaurant or store when they're asked. The vests should not be available on Amazon.
    KayLR -I agree with you. I also am not especially fond of dogs - I had some issues with dogs when I was like five and six years old and I've always liked cats much better than dogs. Cats to me are much more practical and fascinating whereas I find dogs annoying and high maintenance. I do believe service dogs do some good and I respect that but I'll likely never be a dog lover......Rob

Goodie, dogs vs cats! We are gonna solve THAT age old controversy just like we regularly solved the abortion conflict here, haha!

Dogs ARE high maintenance, often annoying, and they are dirty, smelly, and expensive.

Cats are interesting, quirky, clean, easy to care for, and soft.

There, that’s my contribution.

We have been very blessed to have both dogs and cats. so much love!

The point isn't if dogs or cats are worthwhile human beings (......It's that should dogs (especially dirty ones) be in restaurants (pretending to be service dogs), or in grocery carts. I wouldn't care for either, considering they can get poop on their paws, and eat poop. Shouldn't we draw the line at least SOMEWHERE? I'm totally fine with behaved, clean certifiable service dogs in a restaurant or on a leash in a grocery store, but not the other situations.

Quote Originally Posted by CathyA View Post
    The point isn't if dogs or cats are worthwhile human beings (......It's that should dogs (especially dirty ones) be in restaurants (pretending to be service dogs), or in grocery carts. I wouldn't care for either, considering they can get poop on their paws, and eat poop. Shouldn't we draw the line at least SOMEWHERE? I'm totally fine with behaved, clean certifiable service dogs in a restaurant or on a leash in a grocery store, but not the other situations.
    100% of human bites become infected. Only about 50% of dog bites become infected. Who is cleaner?

Just kidding, I dont care much one way or the other where dogs are allowed, that is the business owner’s decision.

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    Goodie, dogs vs cats! We are gonna solve THAT age old controversy just like we regularly solved the abortion conflict here, haha!

Dogs ARE high maintenance, often annoying, and they are dirty, smelly, and expensive.

Cats are interesting, quirky, clean, easy to care for, and soft.

There, that’s my contribution.
    Here's a shocker IL......today we agree on something 100%. I could not agree with your take more here.

And to get back to the original topic......people using dogs as "service animals" when they actually are not "service animals" - not cool. Not cool at all. Rob

Quote Originally Posted by gimmethesimplelife View Post
    Here's a shocker IL......today we agree on something 100%. I could not agree with your take more here.

And to get back to the original topic......people using dogs as "service animals" when they actually are not "service animals" - not cool. Not cool at all. Rob
    But I luuuurrrvvv my smelly bulldog with a love that exceeds any cat love I have had.

i love dogs and cats but have become super allergic to cats and somewhat to dogs. We have 3 dogs and will always have 1 or 2. I am fine with them being everywhere. I was attacked a few times by dogs and would not be alive if I had been walking alone one day when a huge dog jumped the 6 ft fence, knocked me down and was going for my throat. I was married to my ex at the time and he attacked it and it did the same to him but he was a vietnam vet so knew how to hurt it. WE called animal control and as much as I love dogs I insisted it be put to sleep or I would take them to court. I did this because there were many small kids on your subdivision and any of them could have been hurt or killed. The people choose to euthanize it. Not sure if it was because of what it did or because I threatened to sue them. Shortly after I got my son's big dog an off leash pitbull started to go for me and Noki got between us and fought him until the stupid owner finally arrived to pull him off. The pit was going for noli's neck and even though he was 9 Noki managed to throw him up in the air and get on top of him. Poor Noki had many bites and slept for 2 days after. I also had a Chi bite me when my back was turned in my ankle. I still love dogs.

Thread Information