Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Cleaning kitchen questions

Quote Originally Posted by pinkytoe View Post
    Me too. We have some sort of wood laminate Pergo type stuff in the basement and I hate it. It clicks when you walk on it and seems to have a static quality that holds dust and debris.
    Interesting....we used a maple Pergo in our entire cabin except bathroom and a slate tile entry. We LOVE it!!!! 14yo and looks brand new!

The Pergo we have in our weekend house was poor,y attached over vinyl. It is loose and crackly. But that is fine, we will be tearing it up eventually. One of the upstairs bedrooms also has this Pergo type stuff and that seems to be holding on well. This house in its original state is so confusing, it has a beautiful oak plank floor with inlays in the living room, fancy! Needs refinishng, but easy to do.

the downstairs bedroom original to the house has wide pine planks, in nice condition, just needs refinishing.

One upstairs bedroom, original to the house, has crappy narrow plank wood floors, painted. Presumably oak. But they are in bad shape with pieces missng or replaced, I wouldnt refinish these floors. The bedroom with Pergo stuff, dont know what is under that flooring.

All of these wood plank floors, 3 different types, are all part of the original house. Dont know why the flooring material is all so different. Then add in Pergo in some rooms, then vinyl in the hallway. Whoah, lots of surfaces.

I'm afraid of the multiple flooring issue for when we sell our house. It always had 4 different flooring types: hardwood in the living areas, upstairs, and in the bedrooms (it was ALL covered in shag carpet--imagine our delight to find untouched hardwood when we pulled up that shag!). Then there's parquet off the kitchen/dining area (which is now my home office), and the entry hall/family room had horrible vinyl tiles. And the kitchen had a different vinyl pattern.

Unfortunately, instead of making it cohesive, we just replaced a different flooring over each original:

We pulled up the shag to get the hardwood.

We then covered the kitchen vinyl with ceramic tile. We covered the family room and hall with the Pergo dark colored engineered wood. Another probable mistake: I didn't do the same light color as the 1st floor hardwood because I was afraid a mismatch would look worse than an intentional contrast--but I think I should have gone for a closer match. And, we still haven't done anything to the parquet.

I plan on refinishing the hardwood before we sell, but I don't plan on replacing all the flooring to make it consistent. Maybe that's a mistake. One of my realtors suggested staining the hardwood dark.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    I'm afraid of the multiple flooring issue for when we sell our house. It always had 4 different flooring types: hardwood in the living areas, upstairs, and in the bedrooms (it was ALL covered in shag carpet--imagine our delight to find untouched hardwood when we pulled up that shag!). Then there's parquet off the kitchen/dining area (which is now my home office), and the entry hall/family room had horrible vinyl tiles. And the kitchen had a different vinyl pattern.

Unfortunately, instead of making it cohesive, we just replaced a different flooring over each original:

We pulled up the shag to get the hardwood.

We then covered the kitchen vinyl with ceramic tile. We covered the family room and hall with the Pergo dark colored engineered wood. Another probable mistake: I didn't do the same light color as the 1st floor hardwood because I was afraid a mismatch would look worse than an intentional contrast--but I think I should have gone for a closer match. And, we still haven't done anything to the parquet.

I plan on refinishing the hardwood before we sell, but I don't plan on replacing all the flooring to make it consistent. Maybe that's a mistake. One of my realtors suggested staining the hardwood dark.
    We'll have a similar problem. I paid out of pocket so flooring was discontinued before I got everything done. I still have the upstairs to redo the carpet (large music room and bedroom). So currently I have tile laundry, vinyl bathrooms, laminate bedrooms, laminate hall/living (different), laminate dining kitchen (different again) and the stupid carpet upstairs. Oh and the stairs going up are still builder grade suitable for an attic which it used to be.
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

I also dislike faux floors. The vinyl in my kitchen and bathrooms is hideous. I'd love to have hardwood (like the rest of the house) but I think that would raise the floor an inch or so - not sure.

Glass cooktops - after scrubbing down, rub on a bit of oil (olive, coconut, whatever.) It makes the dull spots vanish, and makes future cleanups easier.

Quote Originally Posted by Gardenarian View Post
    I also dislike faux floors. The vinyl in my kitchen and bathrooms is hideous. I'd love to have hardwood (like the rest of the house) but I think that would raise the floor an inch or so - not sure.
    We have vinyl flooring in our kitchen. I did not want ceramic or stone (too hard on feet and dropped objects), I dislike intensely laminate floors (even when they're not looking like something they're not), linoleum was a little too expensive, and wood in a kitchen just seems odd to me (though that belief is losing its grip). It was difficult to find vinyl flooring that did not look like ceramic, stone, or wood, or that had some garish pattern that did not fit our sense of esthetics and the era of the house. We went to some length to find abstract patterns that fit. We've been lucky enough to do it twice. But, yes, sometimes I look at a floor pattern and wonder what people were thinking...

Gardenarian, you could go with engineered wood, which would be around 3/8 inch high. That still might necessitate messing with cabinets and doors, however. To my knowledge, however, all engineered wood flooring is prefinished; that is, it is not finished on-site with a monolithic coat of urethane or something else to make it spillproof. You would have to look for engineered flooring with a water-resistant substrate. I don't know if such a beast exists.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Quote Originally Posted by Gardenarian View Post

Glass cooktops - after scrubbing down, rub on a bit of oil (olive, coconut, whatever.) It makes the dull spots vanish, and makes future cleanups easier.
    Thanks for that tip! I'll try it.

Of course Laminate was not my first choice but it was something I could do myself on small budget. I'm pretty handy with a tape measure and miter saw. Underlayment is key on laminates. The first laminate I put down is 10" wide grooved and 16 years later looks as good as day one. For a household with 2 with allergies my goal was to get up the carpets asap. I only have one area corner of living room by hall where the piano sits where I should of leveled the floor more with that epoxy but the hall is wide enough I just sat a huge pot there so no one will step on the one piece that moves a bit. We don't call this cabin quirky for nothing!
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

Quote Originally Posted by Float On View Post
    Thanks for that tip! I'll try it.

Of course Laminate was not my first choice but it was something I could do myself on small budget. I'm pretty handy with a tape measure and miter saw. Underlayment is key on laminates. The first laminate I put down is 10" wide grooved and 16 years later looks as good as day one. For a household with 2 with allergies my goal was to get up the carpets asap. I only have one area corner of living room by hall where the piano sits where I should of leveled the floor more with that epoxy but the hall is wide enough I just sat a huge pot there so no one will step on the one piece that moves a bit. We don't call this cabin quirky for nothing!
    I'm so glad I'm not the only one living in a quirky place! But it is home and I love it.

Most old homes are quirky in some way which I love. IL: how is your weekend house coming?

Thread Information