Quote Originally Posted by ToomuchStuff View Post
There is an engineered flooring that is "waterprooof" (I would correct to water resistant), that is made to look like wood or tile. I don't have a name, but it is available at most of the building centers.
Well, vinyl is "engineered" and is waterproof, and is available in rolls/sheets, tiles, or planks. Some of the patterns on what's called "luxury vinyl tile" are quite lifelike. But vinyl suffers from a lousy public image. Most people would rather take their chances with a picture of wood on laminate and replace it a couple of times than consider vinyl once ... You pays yer money, you makes yer choice *shrug*

There are some laminates which are considered water-resistant and I could see that some urethane-coated engineered-wood floors or site-finished wood floors could be considered water-resistant from the top. The problems occur when liquid seeps past the top layer to either the plank substrate or the floor. Even a water-resistant coating won't help if the raw wood underneath is swelling.