Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Getting old: Defy or accept?

I think I am healthier now at 69 than I was earlier. I eat better. I don't seem to have as much energy, but it could be I am just more relaxed. I've colored my hair for years and did try to let it grow out, but the white around my face just washed me out, so I am still coloring it a dark blonde. I never wore make up so that hasn't changed. I'm round, but have always been. I have more aches. But, generally I'd say I am accepting of my aging but not the white hair, yet.

Wow, Catherine, just watched that video and wow. Must reconsider my hair--it looked great.

I'm 51. Blondish with a tad bit of grey if I look hard. I think the Indian background on my mom's side keeps us from going grey early. Grandma was natural until mid-70's when grey suddenly showed up on her head and she never went completely grey. But my dad had beautiful silver by his mid-30's and my brother has done the same. I add a few strands of streaky lighter blonde highlights every few months.
    I use over the counter wrinkle filler (olay) for the forehead lines and keep a few wispy bangs to cover as well. Coconut oil at night on those same forehead lines and around the eyes.

And just for that I thought it was time I update my profile photo. Hadn't done that in years and years!

As long as a person is well moisturized and has a good spirit about them then wrinkles show joy over hardships.

Feet are my thing. Men and Women both should be using good moisturizer on heels and toes and keep their toenails in good healthy shape. Old crusty thick heals and thick ugly unkempt thick toenails are an age show for sure. Pedicures (at home or salon, I don't care) are a good thing as well as a visit to the podiatrist to keep any foot problems at bay.
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

Well, if you are expressing concern about aging only in the “looks” category you are lucky indeed because the stuff that really matters is health degeneration.

Mother Nature kindly allows us to start noticing and accepting the aging process with slight physical changes like greying hair and bits of flab and some wrinkles. These dont much matter since one can look “good” even with these changes.

I think of my mother who at 80 years old had a couple of boyfriends, both unsolicited, they came after her. I look like a fat version of my mom. She was too skinny anyway, haha! It wasnt good for her bones. At soon-to-be-64 I have fat and grey hairbut the stuff that REALLY matters, my mobility, are fine.

Ok I struggled I struggled big time. There I said it. Hit at 53 ish. I never tired to look younger per say with younger clothing, I don't want to look silly. But my body, the parts that I was always proud of as I worked so hard all my life to "look" fit. This parts sunk, sagged and puffed.

Today I can say I am almost there to accept the body thing. Not fully, but almost. I have accepted I am not holding back the night, however.

I just joined a gym nearby because our endless days of rain are not going away any time soon and I need an exercise outlet beside walking away the pounds with Leslie Sandstone. So if you want to feel fat and old, go to the gym.But I am ok with that, I tell myself that SOMEONE has to define the bottom of the curve in age and BMI. Let me be inspiration to the younguns.

as an aside I saw the modt astonishing feat of athletic proess at the gym:a young guy was jumping onto a box that was as high as his breast. Cold jump, jumping from in place, not a running jump. He did it over and over, at least ten times.

I have not loved aging but it beats the alternative. I still get my hair colored at 63. My Aunt still does it at 93 but my Mom never did. I don't wear makeup everyday and when I do just foundation.

Iris Lily, I love your attitude about the gym. Somebody has to show them what's coming....but that boy who cold jumped! I am always amazed at what people can do. I remember trying to do the horse in PE in high school and never getting the jump part right. Have fun at the gym.

Aging is one of those categories that illustrates my belief that far, far more of life is determined by luck than most people want to believe. That spry 95-year-old still living a full and vibrant life isn't morally superior to the rest of us; she just drew a winning number in the genetic lottery. I had an aunt who lived to be 95 despite smoking two packs a day her entire adult life, and she remained fairly active up to about two years before her death. My mother, on the other hand, her younger sister, died at 82 after suffering for a decade from a degenerative neurological disease.

But the original question of how much we should rage, rage against the dying of the light is something I've been thinking about quite a bit lately. At 62, I've felt significantly older over the past two to three years, despite regular exercise and a reasonably good diet (well, at least no worse than most Americans' diets). I have much less energy and am pretty well done in by the end of a normal work day. My back aches after only a few miles of walking (I'm an avid walker). I can't really think of what to do about this other than perhaps trying to improve my diet a bit and ramp up the exercise a little more. I'm not sure if you can turn back the clock, though.

I don't have any quarrel with those who take minor measures to youthen their appearance. Last year I considered getting my teeth whitened, but in the end didn't do it. But I still might.

I'm on both sides of this one. At 51, I realize I'm old. I probably like some things old people like. (Naps, comfortable clothing) Am I surrendering to the aging process? NO. My Mother in law Just turned 80 and last year she was taking 20 mile bike rides. I will be the best looking 51 year old I can be by taking care of myself. That means eating right, ice skating, rollerblading, cycling, push ups, dips, chin ups and planking. No I will not walk off quietly into the sun set. Anyhow, I hate walking, I will ride my bike or rollerblade.

Thread Information