Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: Getting old: Defy or accept?

I just started the book and already am rethinking tests. My gp is pretty sensible, not much for over testing. She was interested in the elderberry tincture for immune system strengthening Frugal one suggested to me after I raved about it! She does like mammograms, though. At 69 I've had many, had a lump removed, but since then they've all been clean. It's good to think about health care and what I'm willing to do.

Yppej
    Quote Originally Posted by Gardenarian View Post
    I do get flu vaccines - haven't had the shingles or pneumonia one yet. I wonder what Ehrenreich thinks of those.
    I'm more than halfway through the book and I couldn't tell you. She goes off on tangents, so the different chapters feel like unrelated essays. The first chapter is the strongest, and I had hoped she would go into more depth on unnecessary even harmful screenings instead of other topics. Maybe she ties it all together at the end, IDK yet.

Yppej, I'm finding the same problem with the book...skimming much of the later chapters. The first one promised a better analysis.

Undoctored, by William Davis, MD, might give you a clearer idea of which tests to get, if any. It's in my increasingly long queue of unread books.

I have not seen the BE book but I ought to check it out.
    I would be concerned, though, if she is making a whole case against people going to the doctor. That seems pretty irresponsible and I would not want to do that, for obvious reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    Undoctored, by William Davis, MD, might give you a clearer idea of which tests to get, if any. It's in my increasingly long queue of unread books.
    Thanks, just ordered from the library!

I just ordered this book too. The other book did get off the subject.

Yppej
    Today's news that many women have been undergoing chemotherapy unnecessarily vindicates Ehrenreich.

To date, I have not taken pharmaceuticals for osteopenia. I've seen evidence that bisphosphonates strengthen bone density, but the data proving that increased bone density=fewer fractures is just not there. So I have to work harder at nutrition (I have the book The Healthy Bones Nutrition Plan and Cookbook) and exercise (10 minutes of yoga 3 times a week has been shown by Dr. Loren Fishman to improve T-scores). But in the end, I may still wind up looking like my aunts.
    In a biological anthropology class, my professor said that you can mineralize your bones up the wazoo - and simply make them brittle. He said that a China plate is full of calcium - but drop it on the floor and see what happens!

Minerals are only one part of it. It’s just as important to maintain the collagen scaffolding, and this is where many people go wrong.

High-quality home made bone broths - the kind that set into a stiff jelly - are excellent. Not for the calcium leached from the bones but for the collagen and gelatin. I’m definitely ramping up my broth-making and consumption!

At age 57 I started going to yoga classes. A few years later I added a weights workout. No one will ever confuse me for anything younger than what I am (65) but I am a pretty good looking version of 65. Works for me!

Thread Information