Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Getting old: Defy or accept?

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar View Post
    I don't have intentions to act or dress differently only to seem younger than my age.
    This line made me think a little.

Is "younger than my age" an arbitrary construction? When I was younger, my grandparents (admittedly from "the old countr(ies)") dressed differently than younger people. Now I and my peers, grandparents ourselves though just a few years younger than my grandparents were as I remember them, wear blue jeans and Crocs and athletic shoes and yoga suits just like people in their 20s and 30s and 40s.

My grandparents listened to different music than they did when they themselves were younger. People my generation are still listening to the music they listened to growing up and the songs and movies and books of our early adult years have become part of omnipresent mass culture much more so than the entertainment of my grandparents. And people my age listen to Bruno Mars and Taylor Swift and Adele in a significant measure compared to the much younger core music-listening populace (all North American, I grant you, but...).

Certainly there are fashions that look better on younger bodies than mine. Surely there are musical trends today that seem as foreign to me as New Wave/punk was to my parents and rock and roll was to theirs. There absolutely is ageism in America, particularly in some cultures. But is acting or dressing "younger" than our age a shifting standard?
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Steve: I would say we wear jeans as do people in their twenties, etc. but not "just like" they do. Not all jeans are created equal. I don't wear very low-rise, super-skinny jeans with artful rips in them, and I suspect you don't either.

Jeans are a conundrum for me. My favorite Levi's are no longer made and I don't do skinny pants. I find the current trend of leggings all the time on women of all shapes, sizes and ages very strange so I guess that is an old paradigm thought.

I have not worn jeans SINCE my 20s. Really Very few people can look decent in them, of course if they are purely functional (gardening, hiking etc.) you may not care. I wear pants of the sort I would have no shame about wearing to the office (well except that some of them are very worn so I would).
    Trees don't grow on money

Quote Originally Posted by ApatheticNoMore View Post
    I have not worn jeans SINCE my 20s. Really Very few people can look decent in them, of course if they are purely functional (gardening, hiking etc.) you may not care.
    Me either. I'm a yoga pant wearer 100% in the house. If I go out, I sometimes will change into nicer pants (which will inevitably be black Banana Republic pants of some type). But never blue jeans.

However, for Christmas my son and DIL gave me an AWESOME pair of Carhart brown overalls. I've never worn overalls before, but I LOVE these! I don't wear them anywhere but out in the garden or volunteering in other gardens, but man, are those pants awesome!
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Nice topic. Ageing is something that I can feel every day, it's happening and nothing can stop it. I usually tell my niece (she's 18 and she always worries that she would make mistake in life) that she has a long life ahead to fix all that mistake, so why doesn't she do something she wants, life goes wrong somehow anyway.
    “Salt in the air, sand in my hair.”

I'm sure that I look older to others than I feel or look to myself. I'm 61 and stopped coloring my hair at about 51 when I knew I was gray by over half. At first I got comments about it (mostly from women) wondering why I would do such a thing. Mostly because my hair grows really fast and I was having to color every two weeks. I never got a second glance over my hair before and now I actually have both men and women come up and ask me about it. I was uncomfortable about it at first but now I go with the flow. Think longer than shoulder length kinda Emmy Lou Harris layered style, pure white. My husband looked like Ward Clever until he had his stroke and we shaved his head. As it grew in I talked him into leaving it super short because it is more in style and it really does make him look stylish.
    I love the gym and go at least five days a week. It is important to me to stay in shape to attack all the yard work and the other activities we are involved with. We eat much healthier than we did before his stroke. Now that we are both retired we are more active then when we had desk jobs.

Quote Originally Posted by ApatheticNoMore View Post
    I have not worn jeans SINCE my 20s. Really Very few people can look decent in them, of course if they are purely functional (gardening, hiking etc.) you may not care. I wear pants of the sort I would have no shame about wearing to the office (well except that some of them are very worn so I would).
    I think many look better in jeans than in the leggings that are the rage. I don't think there are many woman that look good in leggings.

Quote Originally Posted by frugal-one View Post
    I don't think there are many woman that look good in leggings.
    Ahhh, but the ones who do, Oh My!
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

My 4 year old grandson was downtown with his dad and his grandpa and his grandpa’s male friend. A young totally in shape woman in yoga pants walked past them. My grandson looked at the woman, then turned and looked at the men with him, and smiled really big. One of the men said something about how pretty she looked. Grandson put his hands over his heart and fell to the ground to express his overwhelming agreement.

Alan - it starts young and I believe you are right. 😄

Thread Information