Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you believe that the criminal justice system in the US should be reformed?

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar

Do you believe that the criminal justice system in the US should be reformed?

And if so, how? And for what reason(s)? I'm going to spare you'all my thoughts as honestly, anyone reading this board for any length of time knows where I stand on these issues already and I'm not out to beat a dead horse here - I'm just curious what other people think. People beyond the 85006. Rob

Rob, if you are planning on not giving us your thoughts, why post the question? Are you just soliciting opinions--I am confused by this post.

The “justice system” is a big huge mondo aparatus with cogs and wheels that range from working beautifully to cogs and wheels that work poorly or do not work st all.

I think it is always worthwhile to lobby your governmental representatives at any level to hold the cops, the peoples’ attorneys, the justices, the prison officials, and everyone associated with them to do their job and do it well. It is also worthwhile to compliment and recognize jobs well done in this system.

There are always aspects of “the justice system” that needs “reform” (most likely improvement.)

So aure, I will reply a cautious but sincere “yes” to your question to mean working the system as it now exists.

Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post
    Rob, if you are planning on not giving us your thoughts, why post the question? Are you just soliciting opinions--I am confused by this post.
    Tybee, hi!

I didn't post my thoughts as my take is that pretty much my thoughts in this area precede me, at least on this board, and I wanted to spare everyone from repeating them again and again and again. Plus I'm curious what other people think about criminal justice reform in general. Rob

Quote Originally Posted by gimmethesimplelife View Post
    Tybee, hi!

I didn't post my thoughts as my take is that pretty much my thoughts in this area precede me, at least on this board, and I wanted to spare everyone from repeating them again and again and again. Plus I'm curious what other people think about criminal justice reform in general. Rob
    I think sparing us is a good thing, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    I think sparing us is a good thing, thanks.
    LOL I agree IL......I posted recently about the issues in Sacramento - that's enough for awhile, no? I find it hard to believe that any regular poster/lurker here does not know by now my stance on this topic. But I still am interested in what other people think about this. Rob

I agree with both IL's posts.

I’m fine with it. I don’t believe cops are roaming the country looking for people to kill like Living Dead extras. I don’t believe a night in the drunk tank will destroy your life for eternity. While there’s always room for improvement, I think our system generally functions pretty well.

I would not call shooting black men many of which are unarmed functioning well. We need changes.

I would reform by immediately reconsidering people in jail due to small amounts of personal drugs. I am thinking of marijuana since it is becoming legal in more areas. And then consider the circumstances, if there was no other crime or violent history make it more possible for people to rent housing, get jobs, etc. In the long run it benefits us more to have them out of jail and contributing than staying inside for something you can do medicinally or recreationally.

Oh and have a serious look at the cash bond system, I have heard some things that make me think there is room for it to be used badly, but I am open to an investigation rather than just some stories I have heard. I would be interested to know if it is an issue or not, maybe just in some areas.

Thread Information