Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Do you believe that the criminal justice system in the US should be reformed?

And it is a win-win, to decrimalize non-violent drug convictions then we would have more room to properly convict violent criminals and keep them for the full sentence instead of plea bargaining and early parole.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    WE could close a ton of prisons if we decriminalized drugs.
    See my comment above about the prison industrial complex. When you throw someone in jail on a drug charge, he ceases to be a citizen and becomes a profit center. Private prison corporations, prison guards and large segments of law enforcement owe their livelihoods to keeping the jails full.

There are certainly aspects I would like to see fixed, but I have never had contact with another countries system to have a comparison. Things like "dead laws" (unenforceable but still on the books, get pulled out if an excuse is needed or left on the books and decades later a new use is found), mandatory sentencing (seems weird to me that someone on a drug charge for a joint back in the day may still be locked up, while I talked with a guy I know (we both were after the same gal), who served his 25 years for murder), etc.
    I also think like in life in general, there are good and bad people in the system, as well as competent and incompetent. I have had good and bad LEO"s in the family, and know that both hate IA (knew someone in that, that since passed). But that doesn't mean I will be praising cops getting shot, when someone such as a local cop when he was shot in the head and survived.
    However, isn't that why in part we have the system that we have? Protesting only does so much. It is pretty much only a media darling if you don't use it, LOCALLY, to get petitions of registered voters in that area, on a subject they agree on, to get laws changed/corrected/reviewed, etc. This protesting in other area's thing is drivel to me. (hampers serious attempts)

It's going to be interesting to see how the Sacramento police department deals with the private autopsy that the Clark family had done. For seemingly the first time instead of a month's long "investigation" where everyone has a chance to get their stories straight, we now have a fairly damning story up front. Perhaps something useful we could do is separate investigations into potential police wrongdoing from the police themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    Perhaps something useful we could do is separate investigations into potential police wrongdoing from the police themselves.
    I know if I have an “incident” on duty, an agency outside of my own does the investigation and follow up. Seems quite reasonable for anything but the most minor problems. I mean, if I get a speeding ticket on my own time, I have to chat with someone outside about it...

Here at Ground Zero of Black Lives Matter,the local city attorney’s office always investigating any shooting death that a policeman had initiated. Then, after Gentle Giant Michael Brown’s demise, the city attorney took over investigation of all officer involved shootings whether they resulted in death or not.

As a taxpayer I think this is all fine. But then, that wasnt enough for the local loud voices demanding justice from police britality and they want an independant investigation by an elite board of law enforcement officials operating from the state. Apparently this is standard in some other states.

While once again, that is fine with me, I also do not ever expect the voices of protest to accept that, either, once it is place.

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    I know if I have an “incident” on duty, an agency outside of my own does the investigation and follow up. Seems quite reasonable for anything but the most minor problems. I mean, if I get a speeding ticket on my own time, I have to chat with someone outside about it...
    In the case of sacramento the DA recieved $85,000 in campaign contributions from police associations in the last election. My understanding is that she’s a reasonably upright DA but i question whether she can act independantly given such an obvious conflict of interest.

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    Speaking of Sacramento, I find it interesting that the lastest proof that human life doesn't matter to American police took place in Sacramento - I almost moved there in 1991. I'm so glad in retrospect that myself and my friend that I left Arizona with took one look at Sacramento - it didn't help that there was a record breaking heat wave going on that July 4th as we passed through Sacramento and that it was 108F the day I was there - and said - Nope. Onwards to Oregon, where I ended out living for 5 years (Portland, back when it was affordable unlike today). I'm just glad that we passed through Sacramento but moved onwards, though back in 1991 of course there was no way of knowing this would have happened there 27 years later. Rob

Yppej
    You would think, just as we have infrared heat sensors, that we could have some sort of gunpowder sensor attached to officers with Velcro. Aim it at the suspect and if the reading is zero he doesn't have a gun so don't shoot him.

ETA I just Googled it and a handheld gunpowder sensor does exist.

Quote Originally Posted by gimmethesimplelife View Post
    ... I find it interesting that the lastest proof that human life doesn't matter to American police took place in Sacramento -
    Rob - that’s hateful bullshit. I work with police officers every single day, and most of them are fine men and women who risk a lot to keep our community safe and to help people. Human life matters *a lot* to these folks, and your comments are vile and insulting to the men and women who endure much, in exchange for very little other than to have to listen to people like yourself paint them as monsters.

Thread Information