Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: High Blood Pressure and renal failure

I would do both. Start the meds and recheck next week. This kind of a number causes us to call the doctor on call for inpatients. It’s not an emergency, but we do address it right away.

Yppej
    Try taking it at a pharmacy or other setting if you get nervous at the doctor's office and see is it that high elsewhere.

My vote is you get it checked again in a couple different environments.

Or how about buying a blood pressure cuff. That way you can check it when you're relaxed at home.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Update: I don't usually have "White Coat Syndrome." I love my primary care MD. I did have a mammogram just before seeing him, and while I don't particularly mind those, I guess it isn't a particularly relaxing experience. Anyway, my sister is a nurse and came over with a cuff this afternoon, and my BP was almost 50 points lower. She left the portable cuff/machine at my house, and I'm going to just watch it for now. I will make some tweaks to diet, since that isn't going to do any harm either way. I'mm feeling a bit calmer now (haha and my BP might be lower just due to that).

Rosa, be consistent with when you take it. Evening? after relaxing for an hour. Morning? before you get out of bed. Never after exertion. Do watch and make a record for at least a month.

Recommendations? 2000mg Omega 3 fish oil daily. 200mg CoQ10 daily. It sounds like your lifestyle is overall healthy and your tweaks will help a bit.

Also, maybe go back to the office for a recheck. Take this cuff with you so they can do side-by-side. Perhaps their machine hasn't been calibrated in a long time. And yea you for taking this seriously!

Quote Originally Posted by rosarugosa View Post
    I'm not overweight (5'2"), eat pretty healthy, (although far from perfect), and I quit smoking 6 years ago. I'm sure I could improve diet with minimal pain. Any advice?
    The doctor provided no hints as to why your BP is up? Offered nothing but an Rx?

If your BP is still that high in a week, I'd ask what could be done to identify the cause. But, in the interim, I would take an Rx for a diuretic to buy you some time to find a structural fix. My understanding is that there are few negative side effects and this may be a case in which the risk of the drug is worth getting your BP down, even to borderline-high levels.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Steve: He was pretty mystified since it's always been OK before and I think I look pretty good in terms of other risk factors. I'm thinking I might chalk it up to just having had the mammogram. I didn't think I was particularly stressed about it, but I do have a friend who recently had a mastectomy and another friend who was just diagnosed with breast cancer. I checked BP a few times this morning and got numbers ranging from 105/65 - 114/64.
    Gardnr: I think their equipment would be up to snuff, but the side-by-side sounds like a good idea to make sure this home device is accurate.

Thread Information