Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: High Blood Pressure and renal failure

I am going to try a low salt diet and to eat out less often.

Perhaps I am a lot like my grandpa Estil. He was like: "I ain't gonna be a chemistry experiment with all them pills and I ain't gonna be hooked up to no machines!"

I feel much the same way, at this juncture anyway.

I rewatched Dr. Stephen Phinney's two-part Melbourne lecture on YouTube yesterday (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8uSv6OgHJE)wherein he mentioned a study that had been done somewhere showing the best health outcomes correlated with higher sodium intake. Only a minority of people are salt-sensitive; most of us who eat a minimally-processed diet probably need more.

It might not be easy to find but hibiscus is known to lower blood pressure. Whole Foods or Natural Grocers carries in the bulk section. Steeped like tea, it makes a refreshing iced drink especially with some mint leaves.

Mid Atlantic coast after 30 years in No CA
    Some people can lower their blood pressure and avoid prescribed meds through lifestyle choices -- diet, exercise, stress reduction, and such.

I find when I go to the gym and do 1.5 hour routine of cardio, weights, and machines, my high BP comes down significantly. Same with yoga...comes down a bunch.

Problem is, I'm emotional -- a "hot reactor" and I can't always be on the treadmill or pumping iron or doing yoga. And when I'm not, my BP shoots up. Soooo...I reluctantly went on BP meds..they do control the BP and keep it well out of stroke range.

I hate being on meds. But I suspect I'd hate having a stroke, too. Or kidney failure. So I keep on keeping on. I don't add salt to most of my cooking -- but I do add lots of herbs and other seasonings.

My spouse, who eats the same as I do and gets less exercise than I, has completely normal BP...so it's not from our diet...

My mother and my father and both brothers were or are on BP meds so maybe it was just in my genetic coding -- or they, too, are "hot reactors." I'm not a failure because I take meds....but that's how I felt at first...
    peaceful, easy feeling

The people in my family who have had strokes both had low to normal BP. My SO had kidney failure with only minimally elevated BP--I think due to a combination of (likely unnecessary) pharmaceuticals. I don't want to take BP medications because I'm unsteady enough as it is, and many of the (often disastrous) falls older people have can be attributed to anti-hypertensives.

Blood pressure is highly genetic. Mine is very low - often 105/55. And I follow none of the rules.

Got my BP taken today at the doctor's office today. Doctor said it was "Perfect!"

Can't beat perfect - well done!

Speaking from experience (My HBP caused a hemorraghic stroke in my cerebellum, leaving a number of long term deficits.) keep up on any meds to lower your blood pressure. Renal problems have never reared their head, despite having only one functioning kidney as a result of an accident in 1991, so I can't speak to that.

Well I am sort of freaked out. I went for my annual physical today and my BP was 170/86 after several readings. It was always good in the past. MD said we could start me on meds or recheck it next week. I said a hasty no way to the meds, but didn't realize until checking online at home just how awful that BP number is. I'm not overweight (5'2"), eat pretty healthy, (although far from perfect), and I quit smoking 6 years ago. I'm sure I could improve diet with minimal pain. Any advice?

Thread Information