Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Reclaiming my farm

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. Hermit View Post
    Catherine, hens-and-chicks are succulents on steroids. They took over one of my flower beds in northern lower MI! They were not bothered by snow or cold.
    +1. One of our houses here in Zone 3 featured an ever-spreading hens-and-chicks which was a little hard to contain. They overwinter fine.

We're expecting somewhere between 3 and 10 inches of snow here over the next couple of days. Not a gardening/landscaping thought in mind...
    If Americans expended even a fraction of the energy on civic engagement that we spend on consumer ideology, our democracy would be much healthier. Can you imagine people camping out to vote? -- Charles Roberts, Amherst, Mass., Nov. 25, 2006

I did not do any additional farm work yesterday. I somehow (?) without noticing injured my dominant hand at the base of the little finger on Sunday. (Dh thinks something bit me, but I see no sign of a bite on the skin) the knuckle is very sore and stiff and the swelling extends up, down, and across the palm of my hand. Milking is difficult and somewhat painful.

There were still things I could have done yesterday, but the discomfort and difficulty had worn me down by the time I could do them in the evening.

Steve, we had more snow in Northern Michigan. Very hard to get cheerful about the garden at this rate.
    On other hand, my Christmas cactus is blooming again.

I have tried Hens and
    chicks a coule of times, but they dont take. I saw a big patch of Ice Plant in a neighbor’s yard years ago, but it is no longer there, must have died out. It is pretty unusual here. there. These are interesting plants. We are also zone 6.

There is some kind of pricky pear type cactus that lives through our winters, and DH has some of it in his section of yard. i hate it, ugly and prickly as it is. But it is Interesting, thats for sure.

It's amazing what cleaning up an area in the yard can do for one's spirits. Last weekend I cleaned up a flowerbed in front; it's probably only about 2x6---and it made such a huge difference looking at the yard from the street when I pull up home from work. It only took me about 15 mins.

Oh, and sedum Autumn Joy---it can't be killed either. Mine have endured both drought and killing frosts, many snows--they just keep coming back even better each year. I do nothing to them.
    My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far today, I have finished two bags of M&Ms and a chocolate cake. I feel better already!

Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post
    Steve, we had more snow in Northern Michigan. Very hard to get cheerful about the garden at this rate.
    On other hand, my Christmas cactus is blooming again.
    No garden work yet but I got the lawns de-thatched and raked into piles Saturday before the snow. When I attempted to pick up the piles they were mostly ice! Felt good, however, to get something spring like accomplished. More winter today.

Today it poured rain all day. I made more ice cream. I now have 4 flavors.

i also admired the effectiveness of the new ditch I dug in March.

Yay for the ditch Chicken Lady, along with all the rest that you are doing. It's great when hard labor results in something effective and lasting (hopefully).

I am not making very much progress, but then, I am not losing very much ground.

i went to a 4h sponsored goat clinic today. Heard a good talk by a young vet on latest practices for preventing and treating some common problems. Realized how much skill we as a community have lost (deaths, retirements, relocations, loss of interest) when I knelt down and palpated a goat’s uterus to confirm her pregnancy (yes) and was treated as if I had just performed some sort of magic trick. The owners had been hoping there would be ultrasounds available as we often have them at the fall clinic.

then I came home and Maggie the Nubian goat promptly presented me with girl and boy twins. Nice easy birth for a first fresher and I may have mentioned how much I love twins from a management standpoint? They have already demonstrated the use of both teats for me. The girl is beautiful. The boy is adequate. I generally keep two jr. bucks. The first has already been chosen and this new fellow is now in the running for second. I have one more goat to kid the first week of July. then a two month break and breeding season starts up again.

Sure sounds as if you are making huge progress CL. Twins! clinics!