Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: April Frugals

Cooking from the storage right now.

Sunday was a taco salad. Cooked ground beef/turkey mix from the freezer. It's gone now.

Thawed a bowl of chili for DHs lunch. He didn't eat it today so he can have it tomorrow.

Grilled chicken and salmon from the freezer. Last night was the salmon along with roasted broccoli. Tonight-chicken on a spinach salad.

2 tomatoes and 1 cucumber and a quart of broccoli left.......think those will be snacks for the next 2 days.

Tomorrow: 2 chicken sausages and some ratatouille from the freezer. I have 1c of quinoa pasta left.... I'll cook and toss in too. After dinner, I'll defrost some beef broth, some cooked shredded beef, some kale and make a barley beef stoup. I've got some carrots to throw in too. We can use it for lunches or a dinner.

Thursday: some smoked pork picnic out of the freezer with that remaining broccoli should do it.

I'm looking forward to space in the freezer and getting some leftovers OUT

Yppej
    Got my hair done and shampooed it right before and didn't have it blow dried. This is my normal to keep the costs down, but it turned out well so I tipped well.

Not frugal but I got frustrated with the mean girl clique. Yesterday they again were ostracizing people. When one of them has a birthday instead of going to the cafeteria they stand blocking the center aisle of the department and loudly talk and eat cake, only offer it to their clique members, and then say, "Oh we have extra" and call their relatives who work in other departments to come eat some. The boss saw and said, "A party I'm not invited to?" But he has no clue how to deal with this or the other things they do some of which are worse (throwing away other people's work etc.) Anyways I bought $10 worth of cupcakes I am taking in today because it is my work anniversary and I will offer them to the 11 people in our group they excluded. I thought about YMOYL and decided it was worth the time I have to work to pay for them.

Finally bought the bike I've been shopping for over the last few months (never-ending winter here has not helped). I was down to two finalists at the local bike shop but I just didn't feel settled about the purchase. I strongly prefer to buy local, but I broadened the search because local wasn't doing it for me and I found a used bike that's one model year old and yet does not have a single mark on it. It's a third off the price of bike had new and you could not tell the two apart. And the store that sold it to me is a cooperative, which, in my mind, compensates for being not-quite-local. And I had a $20-off coupon from a local coupon service. So, mission accomplished. I might even be able to take it out today for a little ride around the neighborhood. Win!

Dinner last night was a butterflied pork chop on sale at the grocery -- big enough for both DW and me and only $2. I picked up a couple and tossed the others in the freezer. The chop was accompanied by some more of our from-the-freezer vegetables.

One of our freezer-alarm sensors seemed to quit earlier this week. It uses spendy lithium batteries, so I made a note to buy some and left the sensor on the counter. Room temperature must have rebooted it, because by the next day it was reporting room temperature, so I put it back in the freezer and it's been working fine so far. Maybe frugal; maybe lucky...
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Yppej
    I was tempted to get a pedicure, but tomorrow and Saturday are the only warm days in the extended forecast so I did not. Sandals are calling to me though. Like Steve I am tired of never ending winter with possible snow flurries Sunday.

Yppej, I too thought of a pedicure, but no sandals yet. I've been doing my own feet for years, but clipping my toenails gets harder as I have trouble twisting my feet into a good position...thus the clipped, filed, buffed nails are not evenly cut, the way the pedicure person does it. All the rest I can do. Nail polish feels funny on my toes, so I usually just get them buffed. Yesterday....I wanted bright red toenails. Must be spring!

Market Basket had ocean fresh sea scallops for $9.99/lb! This wasn't in their flyer so I guess it counts as an impulse purchase, but it's an amazing deal and we still came in well within budget!

Yppej
    I had asked months ago for advice from you all on window bars or window film but had held off due to cost. My son recently offered to create and install bars with lumber stained to match the wood paneling. I am thrilled! Home Depot cut the lumber to size at no additiobal cost for him and the project is underway.

I have my pedicure done, too, for similar reasons. I go every 6-8 weeks.

Yppej
    My grocery expenses have been creeping up. I am now buying about a third of my produce, all my eggs, and half my dairy organic. Today I also found canned tomatoes, no citric acid or other additives, but at $1.59 rather than .99 for 28 ounces. Reading the book Unsafe at Any Meal motivated me to eat more naturally. The garden may help some later in the season and I am trying to stock up on sale items.

Thread Information