Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: April Frugals

Dado, salmon freezes so beautifully. Since it is usually so seasonal in price, we buy in bulk and freeze. Love it all year. I only buy wild caught.

Yppej
    I am eating up odds and ends, postponing a trip to the grocery store, and also postponing coloring my hair. It snowed again last night and I don't feel like going out and spending money though I did get my car inspected today and luckily it passed.

Quote Originally Posted by dado potato View Post
    I notice the supermarket now is selling frozen wild-caught Alaskan sockeye salmon. I paid $11.39 per pound. Except for the skin and 4 bones there was not a bit of waste.
    In some places, the skin is broiled separately and it makes a nice crunchy wrapping or bar snack. I will note that I've never had enough salmon skin around the house to make either of these, though I have enjoyed salmon-skin rolls.

Quote Originally Posted by dado potato View Post
    Also the store has marked down the maple syrup. I believe they are moving out any inventory of syrup that was tapped in 2017. It may be a regional thing (MN-WI, VT-NH-ME-MA?) ...
    A friend of mine has enough maples on his property to make it worth his while to tap them. But, owing to the crazy non-spring weather we've had this year, he opted out of tapping them this year. So, yes, stores may be closing out their "old" inventory.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

In some places, the skin is broiled separately and it makes a nice crunchy wrapping or bar snack. I will note that I've never had enough salmon skin around the house to make either of these, though I have enjoyed salmon-skin rolls.
    I've had salmon skin salad at sushi places, not a huge fan though. Salmon itself ranges in price, most expensive king, then sockeye, then things like coho etc.. That is definitely a good deal on sockeye IMO. I had the coho salmon this week. But then does anyone think that me in my current situation wastes money on almost anything other than necessities, except to spend too much on food sometimes. And even I don't know if I can keep up this level of austerity, austerity and boredom at this point ... But I still eat well, and cook for my bf, but he pays when we go out especially nowadays. And we still had salmon. But it was the cheapest kind ...
    Trees don't grow on money

Five days at home with the flu definitely cut down on my spending this week.
    I need to go back to the envelope system so that I don't just spend all my money for the week on the first day.

Always seem to be splurging on something, which is not frugal. Today it is a burn barrel, as am overtaxing the shredder with this massive declutter project.

Am making some headway there.

I have been wanting a Kitchen Aid stand mixer FOREVER, but didn't want to pay full price, and I never managed to find a new one--until now. I found one at Savers for $29.99 that's just the right size and in white, which will go with every kitchen I'll ever be in. I spent another $25 on a couple of parts, and DH and I worked together to clean and mend it. It works perfectly! I'm so thrilled...it's really great, I love it a lot, and it's an old one that actually was made in my home state of Michigan, so it's great to see the label whenever I look at it. Whee!

That's an impressive score, Selah!

Quote Originally Posted by Selah View Post
    I have been wanting a Kitchen Aid stand mixer FOREVER, but didn't want to pay full price, and I never managed to find a new one--until now. I found one at Savers for $29.99 that's just the right size and in white, which will go with every kitchen I'll ever be in. I spent another $25 on a couple of parts, and DH and I worked together to clean and mend it. It works perfectly! I'm so thrilled...it's really great, I love it a lot, and it's an old one that actually was made in my home state of Michigan, so it's great to see the label whenever I look at it. Whee!
    That is a Score!

Nice! Those old KAs were pretty near indestructible.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Yppej
    I have been tempted to go away for my upcoming three day weekend but Saturday should be perfect weather for doing yard work and cost nothing so I will stay home.

Thread Information