Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Dreams

Dreams

I wasn't sure where to post this so finally decided on the Open Forum.

I find dreams completely fascinating, even the idea of dreaming and all that happens to us in these "episodes" while we are asleep. The trouble with me is it is very hard for me to remember my dreams, so I have been keeping a dream journal and jotting down what I do remember hoping this will lead me to being able to remember more and more of them.

So, I have been thinking about dreams today and was curious about what others here might think. Do you attach much meaning or significance to dreams? Do you think they are a random dumping ground? Have you ever dreamed something that happened later? How about recurring dreams? I would just like to hear any thoughts you might have and any interesting dreams you might like to share.
    Last edited by Sad Eyed Lady; 4-3-18 at 6:56pm.
    "Like a bird on the wire, like a drunk in the midnight choir, I have tried in my way to be free." Leonard Cohen

I've had wonderful dreams after people have died where they tell me all is well. I've had a few when I dreamed of some event and then it happened. I find it interesting that some dreams I remember and write down I completely forget until I read what I wrote, but can still NOT remember the details. I had a counselor who asked about dreams, then asked what I thought about the dream, so I suspect the interpretation I had told her a good bit about my thinking. She helped me in many ways through a bout of serious depression and very little of the time was spent on dreams. My husband dreams vividly, remembers them and they are generally very funny.

Very occasionally, every couple years, I am aware of dreaming but just as I am waking up and the thought is lost very quickly. I could never figure out if I didn't dream or simply stopped before I woke up.
    Curious to see what others say.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

I dream vividly all the time, in color, and I usually remember at least fragments of my dreams. It is like free weird movies every night, so I rather like my dreams. I do think it is mostly a dumping ground, but I also think it's a place where our subconscious minds work on things or try to make sense of them. I have a recurring series of hotel dreams where I am checking in and out of hotels, moving luggage, trying to coordinate with my fellow travelers (always my closest family). I think these have something to do with my concerns about my aging mother, thoughts about family co-housing, etc. I like hotels and associate them with vacation, but in my dreams, it is always an annoying experience.

I have a lot of dreams also, I see a lot of meaning in them as well. I look meanings up all the time, sometimes I disagree and sometimes it makes a lot of sense. I have had some wild ones! Really prophetic too.

I had one recently with luggage and my work colleagues. It seemed that others were having an opportunity to move on, that one made sense,

There are places in dreams that have an existence of their own. I have a basement secret apartment that I know very well and it almost so real that I could draw it out. Sometimes I miss this place, a home I used to live in, but it is a dream construct that is very real.

What about work anxiety dreams? As a teacher my dreams often concern having no control over the kids in the classroom, or not having a lesson ready, or losing the children. I would assume other professions have work dreams, too.

When I was a word processor I had a dream that my boss, the owner of the market research company I worked for, delivered my baby. A couple of months later I asked her for the market research analyst job and she gave it to me. You don't have to be Freud to figure that one out.

I have recurring anxiety dreams about missing trains, plains and busses. It's horrible. It's usually in the context of getting to a place I have to be at, but either I'm late for train, or the plane doesn't come. I just had one recently where I had to be in a place quickly and I get on the plane and realize I'm leaving from Europe so it's going to take hours and hours. And they had make a stop in another city.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by Zoe Girl View Post

There are places in dreams that have an existence of their own. I have a basement secret apartment that I know very well and it almost so real that I could draw it out. Sometimes I miss this place, a home I used to live in, but it is a dream construct that is very real.
    That is VERY interesting. A secret apartment that you can go to. Do you find yourself dreaming of this when you have had a hard time with something? I don't think I have heard of this before, but could see how a person's mind could construct a safe place to go to.
    "Like a bird on the wire, like a drunk in the midnight choir, I have tried in my way to be free." Leonard Cohen

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post

I have recurring anxiety dreams about missing trains, plains and busses. It's horrible. It's usually in the context of getting to a place I have to be at, but either I'm late for train, or the plane doesn't come. I just had one recently where I had to be in a place quickly and I get on the plane and realize I'm leaving from Europe so it's going to take hours and hours. And they had make a stop in another city.
    When I was working full time I had dreams similar to this. I would usually be out at lunch (from work) in my dreams, and I would be in a store shopping or maybe gone home for lunch and would be busy doing something. When I looked at the clock it would be around 3 p.m. or so and I would think "OH, I am late getting back from lunch!" as if I had completely lost track of time.

Both DH and I have had vivid, nightly dreams since retiring. Perhaps because we can sleep so much more. Every morning, we both comment that we have to get up because the dreams are just too much. He often dreams about work but I haven't had a single dream about work or the people I knew there. I return to familiar places in dreams-rooms or buildings-that I don't know while awake. I sometimes think that waking life might be a dream.

Thread Information