Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: My zip code is less than pleased (Trump related post)

Quote Originally Posted by gimmethesimplelife View Post
    Once again, Alan, we truly do not live in the same country even if it is legally and geographically so. In my country, my characterizations are dead on and common knowledge and over 90% universally held. Rob
    If it’s your country, why not make it 100%?

Senior Member flowerseverywhere's Avatar
    Once again, Alan, we truly do not live in the same country even if it is legally and geographically so. In my country, my characterizations are dead on and common knowledge and over 90% universally held. Rob
    so no one in your zip code joins or served in the military or police department? If you had representation in both Maybe changes could be changed more to your liking. My ultra conservative pro Trump neighbor was drafted into Vietnam and slogged through the swamps. Another very liberal neighbor was drafted into Vietnam and was support for air strikes. I respect both tremendously. Hard working good people. I know several retired police who are good, honest people but I do not know their views.

Maybe you you need to move.

Maybe everyone needs to read a book I recently read. American nations: the history of the eleven rival regional cultures of north america. https://www.amazon.com/American-Nati...erican+nations

It provides a lot of insight into why we all view people from other parts of the US to be from a different planet. One of the key points of the book, none of us are going to change our perspective. But maybe understanding why others have such a different perspective would be a good start towards figuring out how to work together for the benefit of all. Or maybe we could just keep shouting past each other...

My hat is truly off to Oregon Governor Kate Brown. Ms. Brown is not only against the militarization of the border but is point blank refusing to send ANY of Oregon's National Guard to the border. Rob
    Since I haven't seen this bill, and all I have seen is Trump said he was going to use the military to defend our boarder. A boarder goes all around this country and loosely two sides are water. So wouldn't Oregon's national guard be guarding the part of the border it is closest to; Canada?

Quote Originally Posted by ToomuchStuff View Post
    So wouldn't Oregon's national guard be guarding the part of the border it is closest to; Canada?
    As far as I know it's a moot point as no one has asked Oregon to provide National Guard troops. Virtue signaling is a 24x7 job for politicians.

I'm surprised by the short memory people have, were they complaining when Clinton sent National Guard troops to the border in the 90's, or when Obama did the same in 2010? Maybe, but I don't recall it.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    Maybe everyone needs to read a book I recently read. American nations: the history of the eleven rival regional cultures of north america. https://www.amazon.com/American-Nati...erican+nations

It provides a lot of insight into why we all view people from other parts of the US to be from a different planet. One of the key points of the book, none of us are going to change our perspective. But maybe understanding why others have such a different perspective would be a good start towards figuring out how to work together for the benefit of all. Or maybe we could just keep shouting past each other...
    I thought that was a pretty good book, when the author got out of the way of his East Coast Liberal biases.

Also appropriate to this conversation might be Hard America Soft America, which contrasts the differences between our more competitive, no-excuse subcultures with our everyone-gets-a-trophy subcultures.

https://www.amazon.com/Hard-America-.../dp/1400053064

Thread Information