Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: My zip code is less than pleased (Trump related post)

Senior Member flowerseverywhere's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gimmethesimplelife View Post
    Yesterday's news that Trump wants to place the US military along the US/Mexico border did not go over well in the 85006. There are numerous takes on this but the dominant one (interestingly enough it's also my main objection) is US Military Culture (similar to US Cop Culture) and how it instills an US vs. THEM mentality - innocent Mexican nationals are going to end out killed due to US Military Culture.

Furthermore, having US Military on the border might put affordable medical and dental across the border at risk. I worry about domestic terrorism in the US in the event that this safety valve is brutally cut off to those who desperately need it.

I don't have the answers but from what I'm seeing? More and more people are going to see America in a less than flattering light as Donald Trump's proposals here may very well get innocent Mexican nationals killed and may also result in US deaths due to lack of access to affordable health care. Is the government really unable to grasp basic common sense at this level? Really a cause for concern here.

I'm hoping cooler heads prevail and human life is spared via NOT sending the US Military to the border. Rob
    both Bush and Obama sent the national guard to defend the border. He ran and was partially elected on an anti-immigrant platform and he is fulfilling his campaign promises. He has done everything he can to build the wall, and is going to fulfill his promise one way or another. The plan is not to have soldiers sharpshooting and having a massacre.

Have you read any of the stories of people they have interviewed in the caravan? They seem amazed they are not going to be welcomed with open arms.

We have needed immigration reform for a long time. A patchwork of amnesty, deportations aggressive or lax ... it does not seem a very wise way to run a country.

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    My hat is truly off to Oregon Governor Kate Brown. Ms. Brown is not only against the militarization of the border but is point blank refusing to send ANY of Oregon's National Guard to the border. What a respectable woman! Though I don't know Ms. Brown's true motivations, the net effect is a high five for continued survival of innocent Mexican citizens (not murdered by undetected sociopaths in the US military) and the continued survival of American nationals unable to access affordable health care on the US side of the border (meaning that Ms. Brown's actions are a high five to continued ability of US Citizens to flee to Mexico for affordable health care so not as to be bankrupted in the US by insane US prices for such).

To me, Ms. Brown is not only a classy member of the Resistance but a true American hero that we as a society should be teaching our children to look up to. I'd go so far as to saying naming a street or two, a library or two, or perhaps an airport or two after her would be appropriate for her dedication to human rights and her respect for human rights as is evidenced by her refusal to knuckle under to the Unfit Orange One.

Just when you think there's no reason to hope, someone heroic like Ms. Brown comes along! Rob

My hat is truly off to Oregon Governor Kate Brown. Ms. Brown is not only against the militarization of the border but is point blank refusing to send ANY of Oregon's National Guard to the border. What a respectable woman! Though I don't know Ms. Brown's true motivations, the net effect is a high five for continued survival of innocent Mexican citizens (not murdered by undetected sociopaths in the US military) and the continued survival of American nationals unable to access affordable health care on the US side of the border (meaning that Ms. Brown's actions are a high five to continued ability of US Citizens to flee to Mexico for affordable health care so not as to be bankrupted in the US by insane US prices for such).

To me, Ms. Brown is not only a classy member of the Resistance but a true American hero that we as a society should be teaching our children to look up to. I'd go so far as to saying naming a street or two, a library or two, or perhaps an airport or two after her would be appropriate for her dedication to human rights and her respect for human rights as is evidenced by her refusal to knuckle under to the Unfit Orange One.

Just when you think there's no reason to hope, someone heroic like Ms. Brown comes along! Rob
    i think that the country you are looking for may be Utopia. Obviously there is a reason you are not living in Mexico with it’s cheap medical and dental care. Why not move there?
    each country in Europe, Asia etc have excellent points, and even the most idyllic have bad ones. I honestly don’t think you are going to find what you are looking for on this planet.

I was hoping that the governors would refuse to send the Guard units. No I don't think the military is looking for civilians to slaughter but in a heightened state things can go bad fast. Looking back at some of the times the military ended up killing civilians during the 60's when large numbers of people were protesting. Even though Trump is being advised to not do the interview with Mueller his ego is so big that I am hoping he does it. If he does that will be his downfall because he lies so much I doubt he even knows when he is doing it. Mueller is much smarter then Trump.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    I was hoping that the governors would refuse to send the Guard units. No I don't think the military is looking for civilians to slaughter but in a heightened state things can go bad fast. Looking back at some of the times the military ended up killing civilians during the 60's when large numbers of people were protesting. Even though Trump is being advised to not do the interview with Mueller his ego is so big that I am hoping he does it. If he does that will be his downfall because he lies so much I doubt he even knows when he is doing it. Mueller is much smarter then Trump.
    And I agree with you, TT. I also don't believe the military is looking for innocent civilians to slaughter per se - I believe it's much more Military Culture and how it doesn't work in the civilian world and more people willing to stand up to this often inappropriate and hostile culture and as you stated, TT, things can go wrong fast under these conditions......especially with the military perceiving a free pass to any of their actions, as American Police assume they will always have.

I've been meaning to ask you - what did you see on the news the other night that led you to believe Trump would soon be impeached? I can use some hope in my day! Rob

I also don't believe the military is looking for innocent civilians to slaughter per se - I believe it's much more Military Culture and how it doesn't work in the civilian world and more people willing to stand up to this often inappropriate and hostile culture and as you stated, TT, things can go wrong fast under these conditions......especially with the military perceiving a free pass to any of their actions, as American Police assume they will always have.
    Having a lifelong background in both of the "cultures" you hate so much, I find your frequent mis-characterizations insulting. Just thought you should know.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    Having a lifelong background in both of the "cultures" you hate so much, I find your frequent mis-characterizations insulting. Just thought you should know.
    Alan, my take is that we live in very different countries - I find it amazing that technically we could enter each other's country without having to produce a passport and deal with border agents - the differences between your country and my country are that pronounced and in-your-face obvious. I won't disrespect your country per se but I will say - imagine if you held citizenship in my country and not yours - and imagine if you had the experiences with US police and military that characterize what citizens of my country have typically endured. You'd be singing a very different tune. I suppose the opposite holds true, too, though - though I won't be appearing in your country very often and only for short periods of time.

At any rate, my characterizations of both the US police and the US military hold true in my country if not yours.....a fact you can't discuss away and a fact that is not going to go away. I guess the good here, the silver lining? More and more people in my country are standing up to the police and to a lesser extent the military - another trend I don't see abating any time soon - and a good thing, too. Rob

'In your head' and 'Reality' are not two different countries. They may be states, but they're states of mind.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

All of my husbands have served in the military and 1 in Vietnam during the war. I had a few good friends die there. My step-son is career military and I am very proud of him. I believe that many cops are honorable. However, incidents of unarmed black men being killed can't be ignored. Being a cop has gotten increasingly dangerous due to a more violent society. So in response some are becoming more trigger happy. Too bad that the ones who are afraid all the time do not find a different job. I also think both the military and police have always attracted some psychopaths that like to have control over others. Hence this is why the police use psychological tests to try to screen out these people before hiring. As a society we must not turn a blind eye but work towards a solution.

And I agree with you, TT. I also don't believe the military is looking for innocent civilians to slaughter per se - I believe it's much more Military Culture and how it doesn't work in the civilian world and more people willing to stand up to this often inappropriate and hostile culture and as you stated, TT, things can go wrong fast under these conditions......especially with the military perceiving a free pass to any of their actions, as American Police assume they will always have.

I've been meaning to ask you - what did you see on the news the other night that led you to believe Trump would soon be impeached? I can use some hope in my day! Rob
    Perhaps you could ask not to have police come near your neighborhood and see how that works out. Would you feel safer? Everyone would police themselves, there would be no drugs, rape, assault or theft? Good luck with that.

you are not correct that American Military and police perceive they have a free pass to their actions. You can have a bad waiter, doctor, policeman, or soldier but that does not make all of them bad.

For Trump to be impeached there has to be an impeachable offense. If there was a truly impeachable offense it would be plastered all over the media and Internet. I really hate is name calling and ridiculous tweets, as well as some of his policies. Especially environmental. But not liking someone’s idiotic behavior is not going to impeach a president.

Thread Information