Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 36

Thread: My zip code is less than pleased (Trump related post)

  1. #1
    Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    4,168

    My zip code is less than pleased (Trump related post)

    Yesterday's news that Trump wants to place the US military along the US/Mexico border did not go over well in the 85006. There are numerous takes on this but the dominant one (interestingly enough it's also my main objection) is US Military Culture (similar to US Cop Culture) and how it instills an US vs. THEM mentality - innocent Mexican nationals are going to end out killed due to US Military Culture.

    Furthermore, having US Military on the border might put affordable medical and dental across the border at risk. I worry about domestic terrorism in the US in the event that this safety valve is brutally cut off to those who desperately need it.

    I don't have the answers but from what I'm seeing? More and more people are going to see America in a less than flattering light as Donald Trump's proposals here may very well get innocent Mexican nationals killed and may also result in US deaths due to lack of access to affordable health care. Is the government really unable to grasp basic common sense at this level? Really a cause for concern here.

    I'm hoping cooler heads prevail and human life is spared via NOT sending the US Military to the border. Rob

  2. #2
    Senior Member dmc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    899
    But wouldn’t deterring the illegals from crossing into the US be a good thing for them. They obviously don’t know how bad it is here and aren’t getting info from the 85006. They then wouldn’t have to get here and then find out they have to flee.

    And I’m sure Mexico is not going to stop the flow of dollars coming from the US so your cheap dental care will be safe.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Nevada
    Posts
    4,280
    rob, after watching the news last night I think we are getting much closer to impeaching Trump which is a good thing. The military is only allowed to do certain tasks and can't arrest people, etc.

  4. #4
    Simpleton Alan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    5,482
    Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    The military is only allowed to do certain tasks and can't arrest people, etc.
    That's not exactly true. Posse Comitatus applies only to Federal troops. The Army or Air National Guards can detain and arrest when under the control of the various states, nor is the Coast Guard forbidden to make arrests at any time.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Nevada
    Posts
    4,280
    Hopefully, the governors of those states will refuse to send in guard troops.

  6. #6
    Senior Member bae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Offshore
    Posts
    7,011
    Should the USA have borders?

  7. #7
    Simpleton Alan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    5,482
    Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    Hopefully, the governors of those states will refuse to send in guard troops.
    I believe there may also be an exclusion enabling Federal troops to enforce Federal Law, which covers all Immigration law.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    4,119
    Quote Originally Posted by gimmethesimplelife View Post
    Yesterday's news that Trump wants to place the US military along the US/Mexico border did not go over well in the 85006. There are numerous takes on this but the dominant one (interestingly enough it's also my main objection) is US Military Culture (similar to US Cop Culture) and how it instills an US vs. THEM mentality - innocent Mexican nationals are going to end out killed due to US Military Culture.

    Furthermore, having US Military on the border might put affordable medical and dental across the border at risk. I worry about domestic terrorism in the US in the event that this safety valve is brutally cut off to those who desperately need it.

    I don't have the answers but from what I'm seeing? More and more people are going to see America in a less than flattering light as Donald Trump's proposals here may very well get innocent Mexican nationals killed and may also result in US deaths due to lack of access to affordable health care. Is the government really unable to grasp basic common sense at this level? Really a cause for concern here.

    I'm hoping cooler heads prevail and human life is spared via NOT sending the US Military to the border. Rob
    So you feel that a barrier to medical and dental tourism would result in a wave of domestic terrorism?

    And that there is a "military culture" that can be counted on to slaughter innocents attempting to infiltrate our borders?

    And that people who do not believe these things have a loose grasp on "basic common sense"?

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    4,119
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    I believe there may also be an exclusion enabling Federal troops to enforce Federal Law, which covers all Immigration law.
    I think Eisenhower cited that when he deployed the 101st Airborne to Little Rock in the fifties.

  10. #10
    Senior Member iris lilies's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    12,231
    Quote Originally Posted by dmc View Post
    But wouldn’t deterring the illegals from crossing into the US be a good thing for them. They obviously don’t know how bad it is here and aren’t getting info from the 85006. They then wouldn’t have to get here and then find out they have to flee.

    And I’m sure Mexico is not going to stop the flow of dollars coming from the US so your cheap dental care will be safe.
    That is an interesting perspective. I had not considered the OP’s lack of respect and empathy for
    immigrants in coming to this country. One would think he would support lawful actions to keep those poor people out of this terrible country. I mean, not wanting them to experience the terror of this country is only right and just.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •