Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Food waste from gardens gong to pantries

Love this topic. Learned a lot. I did not know that garlic could be frozen but I should have looked before wasting it.

Quote Originally Posted by sweetana3 View Post
    Love this topic. Learned a lot. I did not know that garlic could be frozen but I should have looked before wasting it.
    I have had a recent problem with garlic, and it is this: After finally getting a garlic press (went many years without one) I find that it smashes the cloves (well, doh!) but those smashed cloves dont last as long in the fridge. I like to prepare garlic ahead of time, taking 2 heads at a time, clean them, store them.

So, the garlic press isnt fitting my needs, but maybe I will have to stop preparing garlic in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    So, the garlic press isnt fitting my needs, but maybe I will have to stop preparing garlic in advance.
    IME pre-prepared garlic is always a disappointment, especially the stuff that's already minced and packaged in water or oil. Then again, I'm picky about garlic. I like to buy it in bulk at the farmer's market or our food co-op, which sells locally-grown garlic in varieties from sweet to hot.

Freezing is easy: separate dry cloves, place them on a cookie sheet, and put the cookie sheet in the freezer for maybe 45 minutes. Then just toss 'em in a jar or a zipper bag and take them out as you need them. They take very little time to thaw. I've kept garlic long enough to get me from harvest to harvest without a noticeable degradation of quality in cooked foods. Of course, having been frozen, they're not quite as firm for grating (and maybe for pressing; I never press garlic and just use my knife skills instead). But that little you lose is more than made up for in freshness.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

When I made spaghetti sauce for a fundraiser of 100 people a few years ago we had leftovers and I hated to throw it away. It had already been frozen. So I gave it to a soup kitchen that was run by a church. My son was sure they wouldn't take it but they did.

Thread Information