Thread: Memorial Day Florida/Cuba Cruise

Memorial Day Florida/Cuba Cruise

I am planning to take a trip to Florida in late May/early June.
    The plan is to fly to FL on May 28 and hop on a cruise ship, go to The Keys for a day and to Havana for a couple days. Then I will go back to FL and chill out on the beach for a few days.

Short trip, fairly cheap.

Anyone spent any time in the Cocoa Beach, FL area, or The Keys, or Havana?

Yppej
    I have been to the Upper Keys. Most memorable was a glass bottomed boat ride over a coral reef.

Senior Member flowerseverywhere's Avatar
    Near Cocoa beach has the rocket launches. At this point there is not one scheduled for your timeframe, however due to weather conditions the times to launch are sometimes delayed or rescheduled so worth checking the schedule at NASA. . It is a sight to see. The noise is amazing from miles away. We have seen several. People go to Merrit island and park where they can, then hike miles down the beach to get closer. I found that experience to be a lot of fun. A nerd prom where everyone is in shorts and sandals.

There is the Kennedy space center, which has exhibits and interactive experiences. Expensive and probably best if you are a real space aficionado due to your time restraints.

Key west has a tourist picture taking buoy, the furthest point south in the continental US. There is the Hemingway house where he wrote and still has lots of six toed cats wandering around. I believe the cruise ships drop you right at Duval Street which is the strip of restaurants and bars, everything from chains to nudie bars to quaint pubs. can be rowdy. Lots of trolly type tours and boat tours.

what do you like to do when traveling? Laying around on the beach relaxing, be on the water, culture, food, trying new sports adventures?

Yppej
    Quote Originally Posted by flowerseverywhere View Post
    There is the Kennedy space center, which has exhibits and interactive experiences. Expensive and probably best if you are a real space aficionado due to your time restraints.
    I have been there and I also was underwhelmed.

Quote Originally Posted by flowerseverywhere View Post
    Near Cocoa beach has the rocket launches. At this point there is not one scheduled for your timeframe, however due to weather conditions the times to launch are sometimes delayed or rescheduled so worth checking the schedule at NASA. . It is a sight to see. The noise is amazing from miles away. We have seen several. People go to Merrit island and park where they can, then hike miles down the beach to get closer. I found that experience to be a lot of fun. A nerd prom where everyone is in shorts and sandals.

Key west has a tourist picture taking buoy, the furthest point south in the continental US. There is the Hemingway house where he wrote and still has lots of six toed cats wandering around. I believe the cruise ships drop you right at Duval Street which is the strip of restaurants and bars, everything from chains to nudie bars to quaint pubs. can be rowdy. Lots of trolly type tours and boat tours.

what do you like to do when traveling? Laying around on the beach relaxing, be on the water, culture, food, trying new sports adventures?
    Great info! Thanks.

I like lounging on the beach, swimming, and eating seafood. haha

Senior Member flowerseverywhere's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ultralight View Post
    Great info! Thanks.

I like lounging on the beach, swimming, and eating seafood. haha

Florida is your place!

Thread Information