Thread: Transferring pictures from iPhone to computer

Transferring pictures from iPhone to computer

I've been doing this for awhile and haven't had problems. But now, the computer doesn't seem to want to recognize my phone. I've tried a bunch of things, but it still doesn't show up on my computer as "CathyA's phone".
    I've updated iTunes, which I guess is needed to transfer these pics, but it still doesn't show up. My iPhone is attached to my computer, I've entered my Apple I.D. and password, and it still doesn't show up.
    One place mentioned updating the phone's driver. I haven't a clue what that means.
    Any (easy) suggestions for a non-techie? Thanks!

We did recently buy an ixpand san disc thing that downloads pics from your iphone, but I was afraid to try it the first time, without moving my pics the old fashioned way (from phone to computer).

Cathy, is the phone still connected the usual way (cable or WiFi or however it was pairing to the computer before)? Have you tried unplugging the cable and reattaching it? Has either the phone or the computer been shut down and restarted since iTunes was updated? And was iTunes updated on both the phone and the computer? Apple has been rolling out an important security release to both iOS (the phone) and macOS (your Mac); have you run that (or did it run automatically; that's a setting on both devices)? And do you know that you are logged in to iCloud on both your phone and your Mac?

I'm not sure what the one place means by "the phone's driver", either. You're connecting Apple products to Apple products; it's typically handled behind the scenes. The items that may need drivers come from companies that are not Apple (e.g., a Brother printer, a Logitech trackball) and even then, that's usually to handle non-basic functionality.

I'll try to poke my head in here more often than I usually do to see if you've resolved the problem or need more help.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

use Google Photos. Pictures in your phone gets synched to your photos.google.com

Cathy, is your computer a mac or a pc?

jp1.....it's a pc.

Steve......I'm pretty ignorant about these things. How do I know if I'm signed into iCloud on my phone? I know when I attached my phone to the computer, I updated both itunes and the cloud, so I'm assuming it would have updated on both the computer and the iPhone......??

Quote Originally Posted by CathyA View Post
    Steve......I'm pretty ignorant about these things. How do I know if I'm signed into iCloud on my phone?
    You likely are. But you can check by tapping Settings and then tapping on the top part where it displays your name and "Apple ID, iCloud, iTunes [...]" If you're not signed in to all of them it likely will prompt you to sign in. Or you can scroll down to the bottom of that screen; if it says "Sign Out" in red, you're signed in.

Quote Originally Posted by CathyA View Post
    I know when I attached my phone to the computer, I updated both itunes and the cloud, so I'm assuming it would have updated on both the computer and the iPhone......??
    Updating iCloud is completely independent of updating iTunes -- your PC and your iPhone are syncing back and forth all the time through iCloud. You can look on Windows to see if there are Apple or iTunes application updates you need to apply. I don't remember exactly where Windows stashes app updates anymore (Apple house here...)
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Thanks Steve. I must be signed into both, because the "Sight Out" in red is there in my settings.

I'll play with it more tomorrow. Actually, I guess since we got the iXpand thing, we can download the iPhone pics to there and put them elsewhere from there. I'm sort of a creature of habit and have a hard time learning new tricks. Seems like this happens everywhere.......you just get used to one way of doing things, and they change it.

I've occasionally had issues like you've described Cathy, since I too have an iPhone coupled with a PC. I can't offer any suggestions beyond doing the updates, reconnecting, etc. It's always resolved itself as mysteriously as the problem arose, so I don't really know what the solution is. Personally I ultimately signed up for dropbox, which reliably transfers my photos from my phone. Hopefully the new app you've found will work as reliably as I've found dropbox to be.

I used to have this problem before. Since then I've used AnyTrans as my default app to transfer images, music, everything from iPhone to Mac and vice versa. You can give it a try, it's easier to arrange, delete photos
    “Salt in the air, sand in my hair.”

Thread Information