Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Extremely annoying coworker?

"Does she not have enough to do?" I use to have an employee that I created tasks for. Sometimes I'd mix up small and large paperclips in one box and really needed them sorted by size. Old files that needed shredded. Coin roll papers that needed sorted. If you've got time to interupt, you can work on this at your station.
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

I just find it astonishing that state workers have all this free time to indulge in weird behavior and made up tasks.

I obviously made poor career choices; this job sounds fantastic--lots of free time, great benefits, etc. etc.

I just find it astonishing that state workers have all this free time to indulge in weird behavior and made up tasks.
    it's not state workers exclusively, I've had 2 different private sector jobs with insufficient work to do. I'd learn stuff for future jobs (good for me I guess) or surf the internet or read unrelated ebooks (not good for me I guess but really the best I could manage to kill the void ..) to fill the time plus a bit of joking around with coworkers that hopefully was not too annoying as they were also underemployed really. So whether it takes place more in government or not I don't know, but companies are badly run too.

I obviously made poor career choices; this job sounds fantastic--lots of free time, great benefits, etc. etc.
    government work does have the nice bennies, pensions, etc.. and job security. So it can be in many ways a sweet gig (however the personal dysfunctions and politics can get even worse than the private sector and that's saying something. But that can happen when you really can't fire someone no matter what). And it is super competitive to land, it sometimes seems everyone wants to work for the government, but there are only so many slots.

So if one actually has a choice between private and public sector (and most don't as they have actual career paths in one or the other) I guess it depends on what bothers one more, if it's job and income insecurity that hurts one most, then the public sector is better, but if it's workplace dysfunction and nepotism and etc., then I don't know.
    Last edited by ApatheticNoMore; 4-8-18 at 2:41pm.
    Trees don't grow on money

Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post
    It is this way lots of places. A close friend of mine works for a big bank. He says it is lots of sitting on his duff.

Quote Originally Posted by Ultralight View Post
    It is this way lots of places. A close friend of mine works for a big bank. He says it is lots of sitting on his duff.
    My IT career started when a merger left me and my department largely sitting on its hands while TPTB decidedfought about which projects would continue and which would be phased out. It took only a couple of weeks of cleaning up files, surfing what little Internet there was back then, and reading the Wall Street Journal from front to back daily (corn futures!) before I found the guy who was installing those newfangled PCs all over the company and asked him for somethinganything to do. Who knows how long the company would have overlooked the idleness if I was OK with just sitting...
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

This idleness just doesn’t happen in healthcare. We barely have time to use the restroom.

Why can’t we have a little more staff and these other places give up a little staff?

Quote Originally Posted by Ultralight View Post
    My SIL in mega commercial lending her goal for the year is 2 accounts. She always exceeds that because she hates to not look for new accounts.
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

It's not really about ok with sitting. Although it is about shutting up because you are glad to have an income (ANY INCOME). Both my "not enough to do" jobs came after I was not just unemployed before then, but unemployed while the economy was in recession.

Still though I have tried at times to change positions within a company when I felt underused, tried at least twice, asked the hiring managers for those groups etc.. It didn't happen. Rigid caste system in companies sometimes, you ARE your role and nothing more. Realistically it's about finding another job where you won't be so typecast, that is interviewing at other companies. And all that entails (ugh but yes). I got out both times but one time it took a long time. There may have been some lateral moves there I didn't see, it's very hard to see stuff when stuck in a situation (why again it's probably better to just keep trying to leave for a new situation although who knows).

Yes one of these companies with too much idle time WAS a big bank!
    Last edited by ApatheticNoMore; 4-9-18 at 11:52am.
    Trees don't grow on money

I used to study interviewing techniques. One was when someone comes into your space physically walk them to or through your door. They WILL follow you and, hopefully, get the message. My boss did this to me once and I reiterated that obviously he didn't want to talk to me since he walked me to the door. I think he was shocked that I realized his tactic. hehe

Dig this: My extremely annoying coworker got a new job and turned in her two weeks yesterday.

Her new job comes with about $18,000 in salary increase (from $47,000 to $65,000). It also means an extra week of vacation. She has 3 now but will have 4 at her new gig.

Thread Information