Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Art project

Art project

Let me first start out by saying that I am not artistic. Granted, when I was young I could play the guitar. I wrote songs and played in a band.

But other than that I could never draw or paint sculpt.

A couple weeks ago, on a whim, I bought a sketch pad and some colored pencils. Every night since then I have been drawing a picture or two. On each drawing I will write the date.

My plan is to fill up the entire sketch pad (it is a couple hundred pages). Then when it is full I will review it and see if I have developed any artistic skills!

Anyone else trying some wacky new hobbies? Progress? Setbacks? Having fun?

I have been taking some drawing classes and also use colored pencils trying to reawaken the artist within from long ago. I recently did a self-portrait where my sunglasses reflected the mountains I love here. Van Gogh did many self portraits as he could not afford models. I will take more sketching classes when life settles down a bit as I think it is akin to meditation to create images on blank pages. It is especially insightful to go back and look at all the sketches.

Newest hobbies;
    Sewing, start /quit/start/quit. Better than ever before, not the level I want.
    Pinterest ideas is my hobby of the moment Ideas for old china uses and vintage kitchen ideas.
    Garden pond will be my summer hobby in the garden.

I am deeply curious about this darawing thing.

are you working from life? (You could draw everything you own!) photos? Memory? Imagination? What style(s) of drawing are you choosing? Is your goal technical perfection? Composition or focus? Are you working on really seeing?

Quote Originally Posted by Chicken lady View Post
    are you working from life? (You could draw everything you own!)
    UL said he had a couple hundred pages to fill. He'd have to draw everything he owns multiple times.

Are you working on really seeing?
    I wonder if that can't happen rather naturally. Kind of the way sushi chefs in Japan start off making rice or slicing vegetables. Only that task. Every day. With no end until the master chef declares the end product as good as it can get. Repeated exposure to the same kind of work, I think, (should) breed an introspection which aids the process of "really seeing".
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

I found the book Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain helpful. There may be other good ones.

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    I found the book Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain helpful. There may be other good ones.
    Oh I highly recommend this book, plus maybe The Artist's Way. I love it for the overall focus on creative process.Enjoy the drawing, I have tried and go back to creating anything I can imagine with yarn.

Grandma Moses began painting at age 76.

Previously she embroidered. Arthritis made holding a needle impossible, but she could hold paint brushes for up to 6 hours. She painted from memory on pieces of Masonite on her kitchen table, from the top of the painting down. Some of her early paintings were for sale at $3 to $5 at a drug store near her farm. A New York art collector, Louis Calder, discovered them, bought every one, and got directions out to the farm to buy more, directly. She painted (at least a little) every day from age 78 to 101 (shortly before her death).

If I hadn't started painting, I'dda raised chickens. --Grandma Moses

Quote Originally Posted by pinkytoe View Post
    I have been taking some drawing classes and also use colored pencils trying to reawaken the artist within from long ago. I recently did a self-portrait where my sunglasses reflected the mountains I love here.
    Very cool!

I am deeply curious about this darawing thing.

are you working from life? (You could draw everything you own!) photos? Memory? Imagination? What style(s) of drawing are you choosing? Is your goal technical perfection? Composition or focus? Are you working on really seeing?
    Sometimes I draw little sketches from a beginner's art instruction book. Other times I will try to copy the sketch or drawing someone else has done. Other times I have drawn "expressively" where it is just something from my imagination.

I don't think I have any big goals. But then other times I think: "I would like to draw creatively and express myself in a way that I want to look at the picture and so do others." haha

Thread Information