Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Art project

Quote Originally Posted by SteveinMN View Post
    UL said he had a couple hundred pages to fill. He'd have to draw everything he owns multiple times.

LOL! Good one.

I can't draw worth a darn myself, but I really wish I could. Recently, I was inspired by a scene in "The Americans" where an artist growled at "Elizabeth Jennings" to "Look at it (a mug on a table). Draw the dark parts. Don't draw the light parts. Now!"

Maybe that's the only type of drawing instruction I can understand!

Quote Originally Posted by Selah View Post
    I can't draw worth a darn myself, but I really wish I could. Recently, I was inspired by a scene in "The Americans" where an artist growled at "Elizabeth Jennings" to "Look at it (a mug on a table). Draw the dark parts. Don't draw the light parts. Now!"

Maybe that's the only type of drawing instruction I can understand!
    That's part of the instruction in Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain. Have a look.

If you can draw whatever appears in your mind then you're already creative. I suggest you go out in the weekend and draw the nature, should be a nice start.
    “Salt in the air, sand in my hair.”

Quote Originally Posted by Summer View Post
    If you can draw whatever appears in your mind then you're already creative.
    That does not mean it looks good though! haha

Quote Originally Posted by Summer View Post
    I suggest you go out in the weekend and draw the nature, should be a nice start.
    If it is warm enough, perhaps... It has been snowing her in Columbus.

Senior Member flowerseverywhere's Avatar
    As a lifelong watercolor painter, sketcher, quilter, Potter, glassworker etc. my only suggestion is to do whatever you want to do. No rules, no pressure, just personal enrichment. And do what you enjoy the most.

My whole life I have heard “you should sell your ...”. I have sold some pieces, especially Pottery, but only because my house is full. The money I get goes to supplies. I have blue ribbon quilts that I have on my beds and walls, I use them everyday, plus an heirloom quilt for each grandchild put away.

The biggest lesson I ever learned was years ago I had a quilt hanging in a show that I loved. A girlfriend and I were standing near it and an observer said “who would put those god awful colors together”. I thought we would die laughing. Anyway, it got a ribbon in the show so somebody liked it, and someone wanted to buy it. I can see it right now on the back of the couch.
    In another show I had made a New York Beauty quilt. I had a pile of colored fabric that I had put together, but randomly picked them out of a bag. It got a blue ribbon with the comment “beautiful color placement”

so just enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by flowerseverywhere View Post
    The biggest lesson I ever learned was years ago I had a quilt hanging in a show that I loved. A girlfriend and I were standing near it and an observer said “who would put those god awful colors together”. I thought we would die laughing. Anyway, it got a ribbon in the show so somebody liked it, and someone wanted to buy it. I can see it right now on the back of the couch.
    In another show I had made a New York Beauty quilt. I had a pile of colored fabric that I had put together, but randomly picked them out of a bag. It got a blue ribbon with the comment “beautiful color placement”

so just enjoy.
    Art is incredibly subjective. What one person loves will make another person ask "What the $&*#??". I have professional artist friends who have submitted essentially the same work to different competitions and galleries and some go for it and some are never heard from again. Some works sell before they're finished and others languish for a couple of years.

So, UL, never mind what others say. Even those schooled in art history or with degrees in fine art have their own preferences and filters. Make art for yourself.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

IMG_1802.jpg

Just thought I'd add a few of my "eye-catching" sketches.

IMG_1803.jpg

IMG_1797.jpg

A few more; these are "human" figures I drew as minimalistically as I could. The figures are inspired by former girlfriends of mine. All the sketches are admittedly rough, and I don't use an eraser.

IMG_1807.jpg

IMG_1805.jpg

IMG_1806.jpg

None of these is especially original. I just took a totally nondescript figure drawing and then change curves, angles, colors, etc. to be shaped and colored like the subjects (in my memory).

I really like your drawings! They have bold lines and a sense of individuality. Keep it up!

Thread Information