Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Art project

Quote Originally Posted by flowerseverywhere View Post
    As a lifelong watercolor painter, sketcher, quilter, Potter, glassworker etc. my only suggestion is to do whatever you want to do. No rules, no pressure, just personal enrichment. And do what you enjoy the most.

My whole life I have heard “you should sell your ...”. I have sold some pieces, especially Pottery, but only because my house is full. The money I get goes to supplies. I have blue ribbon quilts that I have on my beds and walls, I use them everyday, plus an heirloom quilt for each grandchild put away.

The biggest lesson I ever learned was years ago I had a quilt hanging in a show that I loved. A girlfriend and I were standing near it and an observer said “who would put those god awful colors together”. I thought we would die laughing. Anyway, it got a ribbon in the show so somebody liked it, and someone wanted to buy it. I can see it right now on the back of the couch.
    In another show I had made a New York Beauty quilt. I had a pile of colored fabric that I had put together, but randomly picked them out of a bag. It got a blue ribbon with the comment “beautiful color placement”

so just enjoy.
    I so admire quilters. It's a beautiful medium, and aside from having to visualize how all those pieces of fabric should come together, quilters engage in a very time-consuming task! I don't have the patience for that kind of work.

I love drawing, although I just picked it up again after a very, very long absence. It's very meditative, and I like drawing in charcoal or black and white as opposed to color because I can concentrate on form and shadow.

I just started drawing again as a way to absorb some of the knowledge I've been exposed to in my Master Gardener class. With so much to learn about plants and trees and shrubs, I started drawing botanicals in order to help cement them in my mind--and also to appreciate their beauty.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

I'd like to see pics of you all's art or craft projects. Please share!

I am still working on becoming an "artist." haha
    Here are a few animal drawings I did.

IMG_1824.jpg

IMG_1811.jpg
    IMG_1825.jpg

Here are a couple drawings of humans.
    IMG_1813.jpg
    IMG_1818.jpg

And here is a drawing of a piece of origami I folded.
    IMG_1812.jpg

Okay, just one more set. These are a few sketches of Muslim folks I drew.

IMG_1819.jpg

IMG_1816.jpg
    IMG_1821.jpg

In retirement I've been dabbling with a few things. I have a long backyard fence at my rental house which is dark brown. Pretty drab, so I decided to find and paint some bird houses to hang there. It's been fun to go to thrift stores and pick out different shapes and sizes, and then either paint them entirely or just add some bright paint touches. There's about a dozen up now and it definitely brightens the yard.

Now I've moved on to rock painting. I'm going to try some transfer art and some stencil designs, then some glaze over top of that. I have an empty circular area in my back yard that needed something and painted rocks should brighten that up too.

I think it's great for everyone to indulge in some kind of creative stuff, even as basic as mine. Enjoy and keep going, Ultralight!

Those are really good, UL. Were you surprised to find that you have more talent than you thought?
    I will be sharing pictures of my bench when it starts to look like more than a pile of 2 by 4s!

Quote Originally Posted by Lainey View Post
    In retirement I've been dabbling with a few things. I have a long backyard fence at my rental house which is dark brown. Pretty drab, so I decided to find and paint some bird houses to hang there. It's been fun to go to thrift stores and pick out different shapes and sizes, and then either paint them entirely or just add some bright paint touches. There's about a dozen up now and it definitely brightens the yard.

Now I've moved on to rock painting. I'm going to try some transfer art and some stencil designs, then some glaze over top of that. I have an empty circular area in my back yard that needed something and painted rocks should brighten that up too.

I think it's great for everyone to indulge in some kind of creative stuff, even as basic as mine. Enjoy and keep going, Ultralight!
    Lainey: I'd love to see pics of the bird houses and your rock paintings. Please share! Don't be shy.

Quote Originally Posted by rosarugosa View Post
    Those are really good, UL. Were you surprised to find that you have more talent than you thought?
    Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by rosarugosa View Post
    I will be sharing pictures of my bench when it starts to look like more than a pile of 2 by 4s!
    I am looking forward to some pictures of your bench.
    How do you like handling/using tools?

Quote Originally Posted by Ultralight View Post
    Thanks.

I am looking forward to some pictures of your bench.
    How do you like handling/using tools?
    I'm glad you asked! I think I am by nature someone who is more inclined to the zen of hand tools. But power tools are - well - powerful! And I feel powerful when I use them! Some interesting exchanges in our class:
    DH to Rosa: Well, we would really know how to do this kind of basic project anyway without taking a class.
    Rosa: No way, not me. You got to take shop when you were a youngster, and I was learning how to sew an apron. This is a whole new world for some of us!
    Guy in class: You know, if you get the saw spinning to full speed before you bring it down to the wood, you will get a cleaner cut.
    Rosa: Thanks! You're right, so much better!
    Rosa's sister: Did you get what he's saying? This is all Greek to me!
    Rosa: I got some of it, and we'll figure out the rest together.
    Can't remember who to who, but Rosa finds out there is a laser line from the miter saw showing where to cut. I was using the shadow of the saw blade. Subsequent testing shows that it's 6 of one and half a dozen of the other.
    DH and I did put down hardwood floors throughout our house, and he showed me how to cut the hardwood strips with our small miter saw. That was very cool and we built some awesome floors, and that was really my only power tool experience before this class.

Thread Information