Quote Originally Posted by Simplemind View Post
After my husband's stroke we were sent home with nothing. We were not offered any type of therapy and were told that most improvement would happen within the first 6 months and then level out. We weren't willing to accept that. I basically put myself through med school with the internet after that. We ended up with our own protocol for diet and exercise. I learned there was a type of physician I had never heard of (physiatrist) and we found one to take us on with alternative therapies. I didn't have a lot of trust with doctors since his dizziness had been misdiagnosed as vertigo and an ear problem instead of mini strokes leading to the big one. He had indigestion following his stroke which was poo poo'd and he was told to take tums. After that didn't resolve I started researching that, found heart problems often follow a stroke, pushed for a second opinion and he was in surgery within 24 hours after that second opinion (a hair short of a heart attack) getting a stent. You are the expert in your own body.
I've experienced that; my stroke-survivor relative is getting desultory care (and probably giving up their house to pay for it), and certainly no one is discussing nutrition or physiatrists. Year by year, I have less confidence that what passes for medical treatment in this country has much to offer, other than a splint or an MRI. I'll always be a supporter of Dr. Google.