Thread: today's interview (and meeting)

today's interview (and meeting)

I had an interview today and went straight from there to an improvement plan meeting, eek.

The interview went well. It was for a before and after director job that is full time and year round. It is pretty far and I would have to do mornings all the time, still I have my lease ending so I can look at moving closer since I am moving anyway. I expected one question, why are you leaving? And why do you want this job (when I already do this job and more in my current role). I answered that my job was growing and changing, there is a lot more paperwork and administrative work. I can expect that will continue and I want to shift back more directly to kids and high quality programming. They seemed to understand that and see it as genuine, which it is, and that helps since they gave me a look that I was overqualified or at least doing a bigger job right now.

Then I went directly to my improvement meeting, we are going to meet EVERY WEEK, oh the joy. Well in one week of copying him in on every single email has already made a difference, he has a better idea of what I do all the time. At the end of the meeting I pointed out that I didn't have the future meetings on my calendar, and then helped him create new meetings that actually invited me this time. Sigh. I asked that we put in something I can work towards that I want to do and is positive to motivate me on my plan. A very small dose of anxiety meds really help me work with him. BTW it is pretty obvious as we get into the details of the plan that I made ONE mistake, and now it will all be documented.

AND I got a nice scholarship to attend a weekend training on connecting through conflict, a facilitation training. I am really looking forward to it, and I didn't schedule before I asked permission.

This sounds like more progress.

Hold up, you have to get permission to schedule additional training on your own time?!!

i hate your job.

the other art teacher an I wanted an expensive thing. So we asked the director. And the director said “I don’t have money to give you for the thing.” So we asked about diverting some student supply fees, and the director said “no. Hold a fund raiser.” So we planned a fund raiser. And we scheduled the fund raiser. And we told the newsletter teacher to put the fundraiser in the newsletter. And today, while I was covering for someone, the assistant director walked by and looked at what I was doing with a curious face. So I explained that i was prepping for the fundraiser. And she said: “oh.”

Yppej
    I'm glad they liked your genuine self. This is why people should never lie in interviews (not that you would). You want a job that you will fit you well.

Quote Originally Posted by Chicken lady View Post
    Hold up, you have to get permission to schedule additional training on your own time?!!

i hate your job.

h.”
    it does affect some of my work hours on friday, nothing my boss will need to cover for. It is pretty hard to not run into work time however since i am on call 60 hours a week. I haven't been asking to schedule small things like one hour appointments, this will put me out 5 hours however.

The closest i come to not telling the truth is that i am calling all the time i need for interviews as appointments and implying it is the DR, well it is for my mental health!

So it was the missing work you needed approved. You are on call 60 hours in addition to your regular job hours? Nobody should be on call that much unless they are essential to someone’s survival (surgeons, fire fighters...) even then, one would hope to have more people to reduce strain.

i see nothing wrong with saying you have an “appointment.” Let then think what they wish.

i am really hoping you find a better place soon.

The 60 hours includes working hours, i have provram startin at 6:30 an until school starts, then after school until 6, i have middle of the day meetings 2 to 3 days a week, and if a parent or supervisor calls in the middle of the day i am expected to answer or call back in a short amount of time, i take breaks but it is different than being actually off work,

So, you have 5 12 hour days. Plus planning, or does the planning fit in there? Are you salaried?

Planning and all paperwork is in there in the gap between morning and afternoon programs, most of the time i am not working in the middle of the day but they can still call meetings as needed. And yes, salaried

Thread Information