Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 81

Thread: April is the Cruelest Month

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    4,166

    April is the Cruelest Month

    What a lousy month so far.

    Paul Ryan throws in the towel, virtually guaranteeing there will be no meaningful entitlement reform for the foreseeable future.

    One of my favorite writers gets purged from the Atlantic for various thought crimes.

    The Russians seem to be increasingly nerve gas friendly.

    They're coming after Apu now. Could the Bee Guy be next?

    We're skipping along the edge of an idiotic trade war.

    Inflation is yawning and stretching and thinking about its morning coffee. Nobody seems to care.

    It's going to be a long summer.

  2. #2
    Senior Member iris lilies's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    12,459
    Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    What a lousy month so far.

    Paul Ryan throws in the towel, virtually guaranteeing there will be no meaningful entitlement reform for the foreseeable future.

    One of my favorite writers gets purged from the Atlantic for various thought crimes.

    The Russians seem to be increasingly nerve gas friendly.

    They're coming after Apu now. Could the Bee Guy be next?

    We're skipping along the edge of an idiotic trade war.

    Inflation is yawning and stretching and thinking about its morning coffee. Nobody seems to care.

    It's going to be a long summer.
    I was going to send you condolences yesterday about Paul Ryan.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    4,166
    Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    I was going to send you condolences yesterday about Paul Ryan.
    If he runs for president, I'll support him. But most signs seem to be pointing to a leftward lurch over the next couple of years. We may be entering a bleak period for the Bill of Rights, free markets and good taste.

  4. #4
    Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    4,262
    In these parts, Paul Ryan is known as one of the pillars of the Evil Trio (Trump, Pence, and Ryan). Many are glad to see one of the pillars of the Evil Trio scram but the question does remain - why? And why now? And what does this mean for the quality of life of lower income Americans and those legitimately on social assistance?

    I'm thinking someone even worse than Paul Ryan may take this position now as who in their right minds would accept a position working close to Trump at this point? Think of the career damage such a move would make!

    Interesting times in the 85006 and beyond......Rob

  5. #5
    Senior Member iris lilies's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    12,459
    I didnt know Williamson had left NR. I read Conor F’s long, super long, very very long defense. I mean it was good and all, but good lord it mist be 10 pages. Anyway, he made several good points two being

    1) holders of “morally repugnant thoughts” cannot be, and should not be, stigmatized out of the mainstream
    2) the Atlantic’s effort to broaden their tent of ideas by hiring conservative writers is forever damaged, because who will want to work for them knowing their ideas may get them fired

  6. #6
    Simpleton Alan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    5,529
    Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    If he runs for president, I'll support him. But most signs seem to be pointing to a leftward lurch over the next couple of years. We may be entering a bleak period for the Bill of Rights, free markets and good taste.
    I'd support him as well. I like him because he's a big thinker, not limiting himself to the next election cycle, but of course that's what others hate about him, the reminder that their short term benefit endangers entire systems long term survival. I hate to see him leave the House, but in reality we don't deserve him.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

  7. #7
    Simpleton Alan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    5,529
    Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    the Atlantic’s effort to broaden their tent of ideas by hiring conservative writers is forever damaged, because who will want to work for them knowing their ideas may get them fired
    In this case, he was fired for things he wrote several years before being hired by the Atlantic. You'd think that progressives trying to appear fair would look beyond the day before yesterday to see if their token conservatives actually toed the party line. Or perhaps they should simply admit that they're really not interested in diversity of thought, I think I could respect that.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

  8. #8
    Senior Member jp1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    3,727
    I guess I missed the news about conservative magazines hiring progressive writers to encourage diversity of thought.

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Nevada
    Posts
    4,546
    I am so very happy to see Ryan go. I still have many friends/family in WI and they are all happy with this event too. It is really ironic that we give huge tax breaks to wealthy corporations, etc and then want to cut programs that people have earned and paid into (SS, Medicare, etc). These are not entitlements they were earned. Plus we want to hurt the people that make the least $ in this country. I guess some will be happy when you have seniors on the streets not having anywhere to live, eat or be able to pay for their prescriptions because they are such a drag on our society. They can die from neglect and then there will be more $ for the wealthy. Happy days

  10. #10
    Senior Member catherine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    VT/NJ
    Posts
    8,042
    There was a comment on the world population in another thread, so I looked it up, and there was a color-coded map in an article about population trends that showed life expectancies in different countries. Certain countries, such as Canada and Western Europe and Japan, were dark blue, which meant life expectancy of above 80.

    So I found a list of countries that have nationalized healthcare, and guess what--there was a direct correlation between the countries with high life expectancy and those with universal healthcare--many of them single-payer systems.

    Then, #31 on the list for life expectancy: the USA.

    Many people are lucky to have had employer-granted health insurance (and they had to be a lifelong slave wage to keep it), but many aren't so lucky. So, as Scrooge said, they may as well die and decrease the surplus population. Obviously if they can't afford exorbitant premiums, they don't deserve to live.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •