Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: April is the Cruelest Month

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar View Post
    I'm all for universal care and imagine there is something to the numbers, but I don't know if all the necessary information is reflected. Most notable is the fact that most of the numbers I've seen rank the U.S. as the most obese nation in the world and has a notably poor western diet. I suspect heroin or alcohol abuse, suicides, smoking rates, and social and family supports may weigh the scale one way or another, but may be just as relevant as health care. So it may be correlation or it may be coincidence. What's the old saying, correlation does not imply causation.
    I'll admit that I had a knee jerk reaction to a compelling correlation, so, like LDAHL, I looked around a little and found this analysis by the NHI https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4112220/

Although the analysis concludes that there are multiple reasons for the the disparity, I agree with Medical Daily that "A higher life expectancy is associated with higher quality of life and better healthcare."

So whether it's the healthcare system, severe comorbidities, high rates of gun violence because we have do darn many of them, the fact is that we have to wonder why our quality of life, as measured by a low life expectancy compared with other developed nations, could stand some improvement.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

It's enough for me that a country with as much wealth as the U.S. should be able to afford health care for the people who can't afford it otherwise and may even fall under the category of life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. But I can understand the reasons behind the more conservative approach of individual responsibility for health and health care. The obesity rate here as example of something up to the person and not the government.

I see the reality of Paul Ryan leaving as no big change as longer as the conservatives are driving. It's likely there will come a time when the tax cuts and generous military budget without the anticipated economic growth to pay for things will put future spending at risk. The low hanging fruit of big money are S.S., Medicare and Medicaid entitlements. If the coin flips and politics change before that happens I'd suspect more taxes might be the alternate choice.

Quote Originally Posted by frugal-one View Post
    You're right. I should have asked more politely.
    You may not share my wise and enlightened opinions, but you do have class.

I read that many politicians would like to see the tax cuts repealed which would be a good start in the right direction. Then corporations, etc can follow the law and pay their share of taxes. Alan, will say I am lusting after other's $ but that is so ridiculous I laughed out loud when I read it.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    I read that many politicians would like to see the tax cuts repealed which would be a good start in the right direction.

Alan, will say I am lusting after other's $ but that is so ridiculous I laughed out loud when I read it.

Yeah, I don't know where I could have gotten that idea. Silly me
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Thank goodness Ryan threw in the towel. Now that he admits that the republicans are no longer the party of accountability or believe in the checks and balances of our constitution it's probably good that he's decided to shuffle off to harmless irrelevancy.

http://www.msnbc.com/rachel-maddow-s...d=sm_fb_maddow

Senior Member flowerseverywhere's Avatar
    Don’t you think Ryan will be back for a presidential run n 2024?

i was very saddened today to read there is more chaos than ever at the VA. Both articles I could find required registering or paying for non subscribers, but this one might work.
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/local...=.88bdff1fa11d

physicians are leaving, patients are not getting adequate care. I am ashamed that our country does not make this a priority instead of focusing on president bone spurs and who he is having affairs with.

Quote Originally Posted by flowerseverywhere View Post
    Don’t you think Ryan will be back for a presidential run n 2024?
    That would be wonderful, but it's probably too much to hope for.

Senior Member flowerseverywhere's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    That would be wonderful, but it's probably too much to hope for.
    well I doubt any self respecting republican will run against Trump in 2020. Who wants to be dragged through the mud by his lies, bullying and name calling. McCain is being dragged through the mud right now on his deathbed. You don’t have to like McCain, or his politics, but if you can’t respect someone who served their country along with his predecessors and spent seven years being tortured as a POW you are the lowest of the low.

I think Ryan’s decision will be partially based on what turn our political climate takes. I am hoping someone more moderate (Republican or Democrat) wins the next election and restores some sanity because the divisiveness and hate of recent is serving no one. But he may be in that group of wealthy that the recent tax reform may have benefitted handsomely so maybe he no longer has to be in the public eye.

Quote Originally Posted by flowerseverywhere View Post
    well I doubt any self respecting republican will run against Trump in 2020. Who wants to be dragged through the mud by his lies, bullying and name calling. McCain is being dragged through the mud right now on his deathbed. You don’t have to like McCain, or his politics, but if you can’t respect someone who served their country along with his predecessors and spent seven years being tortured as a POW you are the lowest of the low.
    I think some will, acting either from patriotism or ambition. Romney appears to be considering it, and he has a goodly amount of experience with being smeared. I'm sure there will be others. It would do my heart good to see Trump taken down in the Republican primaries by Republicans.

Judging from the people trying for attention on the other side, it looks like we may see a lurch to the left.

Thread Information