Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: April is the Cruelest Month

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    There was a comment on the world population in another thread, so I looked it up, and there was a color-coded map in an article about population trends that showed life expectancies in different countries. Certain countries, such as Canada and Western Europe and Japan, were dark blue, which meant life expectancy of above 80.

So I found a list of countries that have nationalized healthcare, and guess what--there was a direct correlation between the countries with high life expectancy and those with universal healthcare--many of them single-payer systems.

Then, #31 on the list for life expectancy: the USA.

Many people are lucky to have had employer-granted health insurance (and they had to be a lifelong slave wage to keep it), but many aren't so lucky. So, as Scrooge said, they may as well die and decrease the surplus population. Obviously if they can't afford exorbitant premiums, they don't deserve to live.
    To be fair, if you adjust for us shooting and crashing our cars into each other more frequently than more docile countries, a significant part of the difference can be accounted for.

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    There was a comment on the world population in another thread, so I looked it up, and there was a color-coded map in an article about population trends that showed life expectancies in different countries. Certain countries, such as Canada and Western Europe and Japan, were dark blue, which meant life expectancy of above 80.

So I found a list of countries that have nationalized healthcare, and guess what--there was a direct correlation between the countries with high life expectancy and those with universal healthcare--many of them single-payer systems.

Many people are lucky to have had employer-granted health insurance (and they had to be a lifelong slave wage to keep it), but many aren't so lucky. So, as Scrooge said, they may as well die and decrease the surplus population. Obviously if they can't afford exorbitant premiums, they don't deserve to live.
    Welcome to the truth of America and a huge reason I have so much respect for Mexico......a kindly country in the sense of making health care accessible to Americans for whom America could care less about. Rob

I have read that without illegal immigrants many jobs will go unfilled such as in agriculture because Americans won't do them. Instead of trying to make our border more secure I would rather see that $ get spent on helping homeless people get housing, job skills, mental health needs met, etc. It would be a much better use of our $ as a country. Immigrants from Mexico aren't coming here to commit crimes but to have a better standard of living for their families. In fact I read they commit fewer crimes then the general population. How about spending that $ on helping poor seniors who are choosing between meds and food?

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    I am so very happy to see Ryan go. I still have many friends/family in WI and they are all happy with this event too. It is really ironic that we give huge tax breaks to wealthy corporations, etc and then want to cut programs that people have earned and paid into (SS, Medicare, etc). These are not entitlements they were earned. Plus we want to hurt the people that make the least $ in this country. I guess some will be happy when you have seniors on the streets not having anywhere to live, eat or be able to pay for their prescriptions because they are such a drag on our society. They can die from neglect and then there will be more $ for the wealthy. Happy days
    I'm glad he will is going also. He was not an asset IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    To be fair, if you adjust for us shooting and crashing our cars into each other more frequently than more docile countries, a significant part of the difference can be accounted for.
    BS... show us the numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by frugal-one View Post
    Since you asked so nicely, here you are:

https://www.cnn.com/2016/02/09/healt...ans/index.html

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    Since you asked so nicely, here you are:

https://www.cnn.com/2016/02/09/healt...ans/index.html
    Interesting how the article noted that 30 years ago the US did better than most of the comparison countries. Automobile deaths have declined since then. Not sure about guns and drugs. It would be interesting to see what other countries did that caused their numbers to improve relative to ours.

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    Interesting how the article noted that 30 years ago the US did better than most of the comparison countries. Automobile deaths have declined since then. Not sure about guns and drugs. It would be interesting to see what other countries did that caused their numbers to improve relative to ours.
    I would guess there's a large number of factors involved. The U.S. hasn't aged as fast as many of those countries, and many life -shortening behaviors tend to be more popular among the young. The price of gasoline has risen faster outside the US, which may result in a difference in miles driven, or not as the case may be. Dietary fashions may differ. Who pays how much for antibiotics is just one part of it.

Quote Originally Posted by frugal-one View Post
    You're right. I should have asked more politely.

I'm all for universal care and imagine there is something to the numbers, but I don't know if all the necessary information is reflected. Most notable is the fact that most of the numbers I've seen rank the U.S. as the most obese nation in the world and has a notably poor western diet. I suspect heroin or alcohol abuse, suicides, smoking rates, and social and family supports may weigh the scale one way or another, but may be just as relevant as health care. So it may be correlation or it may be coincidence. What's the old saying, correlation does not imply causation.

Thread Information