Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: So what does Paul Ryan's retirement mean?

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar

So what does Paul Ryan's retirement mean?

This is not an easy to question to answer. On the surface I could go on and on about the party line in my America and why this is such a sign of optimism (weakness in the GOP and people bailing before brutal midterm elections trounce (neat word, no?) GOP Power......

But I also know there is more than one America and more than just the 85006 way of looking at this. What's your take on Paul Ryan's retirement? Do you think it foreshadows anything of GOP chances of holding power after 2018 midterms? Or maybe the man ran across some humanity in himself and could not keep the charade going on much longer? I guess we'll never know but what do you think? Rob

It is sad, and when Rand Paul gets out of politics, I am probably done with
    America. i will flee. I should probably orepare a special outdit dor this sad day, an outdit of mourning, lots ts of black crepe.

Haha, not really. But I dont like this new development YET I think it is cool that he is stepping out of politics at a relatively young age, and after having been a d.c. insider for decades. He is demonstrsting what people should do.

It means he'll probably get a lot richer when he takes a cushy job at one of the companies to which he helped give away the federal treasury. And that voters in his district get to choose between a nazi and a couple of democrats.

It seems to me that a fair number of influential Republicans who have seats in secure districts and plenty of years left in their potential political careers are choosing to wash their hands of this wreck of an administration and political party, and move on.

Alas, this leaves the remnants of the party in the hands of troubling people.

I for one am doing a happy dance) Ryan is an embarrassment to my home state.

Catherine, I did not edit my post. I posted about
    Ryan on 2 different threads.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    Catherine, I did not edit my post. I posted about
    Ryan on 2 different threads.
    Shoot. Deleting and moving my post to the right spot.

I'm still navigating the changes to the "New Post" format.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    It seems to me that a fair number of influential Republicans who have seats in secure districts and plenty of years left in their potential political careers are choosing to wash their hands of this wreck of an administration and political party, and move on.

Sadly, I think you're right.

Those of us who inhabit that weird alternate America who can't seem to understand that everything belongs to the state and everything you're allowed to keep amounts to a subsidy from government see Ryan's departure as a bad thing. Those of us who cling to the superstition that you need free markets to have free people will simply need to be re-educated. The GOP faction currently in the ascendant seems to have learned and applied the opposition's emancipatory arithmetic and identity politics all too well. It's a small wonder that the old mossbacks who prefer a wide no man's land between the individual and the state are discouraged.

Perhaps we need a new party for old classical liberal, small-government free-market dinosaurs. Me, I plan on keeping up the fight with what little influence I can muster. "Hey Marx, get off my lawn!"

No one wants to redistribute other's wealth. We want corporations and others that are wealthy to pay their fair share like they did a long time ago instead of taking what little $ the poor have.

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post

I'd have to agree with you here, Bae. It does seem as if some Republicans are washing their hands of this mess and are moving on to whatever is next in their life journeys. Rob

Thread Information