Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: blog post: stop wasting your money on fancy experiences

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    This summer we are taking a huge driving trip and will probably be gone 5-7 weeks. We are visiting all our friends and family in many states and then up to Northern WI to show my DH many awesome places I went in my childhood, then Canada and Glacier National Park. We are taking the dogs so won't be on any kind of timetable.
    Terry, do you have a pull behind camper or RV? We have dogs and I think it would make a trip like yours a lot easier. are you teaching in the summer? What do you do for wifi?

We have a 27 ft motorhome but are not taking it. Gas prices are high, we get bad mileage and the RV parks have gotten very expensive. The last big trip we spent anywhere between 35-75/night. WE are taking our car and staying at Motel 6's. When we are visiting family we can stay with them. We have 2 small dogs and my son's 80lb big guy we inherited. We just buy a bigger data plan because I am teaching this summer. 3 years ago we went on a month trip with the RV and spend 6k mostly on gas and RV sites. Even the national parks charged between 55-75/night. I cooked the whole time and I could not believe how much we spent. This time we will take our cooler and only eat dinner out.

We have a 27 ft motorhome but are not taking it. Gas prices are high, we get bad mileage and the RV parks have gotten very expensive. The last big trip we spent anywhere between 35-75/night. WE are taking our car and staying at Motel 6's. When we are visiting family we can stay with them. We have 2 small dogs and my son's 80lb big guy we inherited. We just buy a bigger data plan because I am teaching this summer. 3 years ago we went on a month trip with the RV and spend 6k mostly on gas and RV sites. Even the national parks charged between 55-75/night. I cooked the whole time and I could not believe how much we spent. This time we will take our cooler and only eat dinner out.
    Great comments Teacher Terry! RVs look cool but yeah everyone says they are super expensive to own and use. Right now, I am actually enjoying hosting lots of visitors from all over, who are driving and flying to see us and our new place. So fun! I like providing a nice comfy clean guest room and bath, though multiple guests who come at the same time have to sleep in the huge living room/kitchen/dining area on cots, couch, mats on floor, or a hammock. So far I have been doing all the cooking which everyone seems to enjoy! And yes, I do all the dishes too! Total relaxation for everyone! Exhausted by the time everyone leaves but will do as long as I can!

Thankfully, when we bought the motorhome 10 years ago it was already 15 yo. It had very low miles and had not been used much. We have used it much more as a extra guest room then anything else. Enjoy your company Pack)

We have a 28 ft motorhome with 3 slides that gets between 9 and 10 mpg. Our last big trip was last summer when we did a 3 week trip from Ohio to California with short stops in New Mexico, Arizona, Nevada and Colorado. Our average RV park expense was about $35 per night and there were a couple of free nights in Wal Mart parking lots. I think our total expense on that trip was about $3000.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Ouch. that is high.I love Motel 6's with the dogs. We have two 65 pounders.

The 6 k trip we went from NV to TX, KS, Denver and then to Yellowstone, grand Tetons, Idaho and home. Not sure how many miles. This trip will be between 4-5k/miles. We have been known to stop at truck stops since they are free if we just want to sleep. With Motel 6 it is costing us 50/night which includes all the taxes. In WI we are getting an airbnb that has a private apartment above a 100 yo farmhouse. It has a private lake, walking trails,etc for 75/night. They are totally dog friendly.

Alan, ours gets the same gas mileage as yours. a week of that trip we had a free stay because we were either parked at friends or family homes. We were looking at spending a month on the Oregon coast and the rates were between 1500-2400/month. Also when I emailed places they said you need to book a year in advance. Ugh! I would have kept searching but then we decided to do this other trip.

We've loved our experiences. 2 summer weeks on the Colorado summit.....changed hotels after 3 nights. We took it all in and really enjoyed ourselves. 2 weeks in the CA bay area-Big Sur to Bodega Bay. Again, 3 night stays to take it all in and the final 4 days in the city. Awesome! We saw places we wanted to see on this trip. (the cathedral was locked but we tried).

Atlanta NASCAR race and our local college football team BEATING the GA Bulldogs! So much fun that trip.

60 hour whirlwind trip to Vegas for our Bowl game and a Lady Gaga concert.

Just a few examples..... 15 years of camping for every vacation in our $100 tent trailer was worth it!

All paid for with cash savings for just this reason. because the American culture of stuff does not interest us. Experiences. (No dipping retirement or decreasing contributions.)

Unlike many travelers (including 2 of my sisters), Going abroad is not important to us, we want to see the USA.

As someone else said, good thing we aren't all the same!

If you think you will ever want to go to Europe do it while you still physically can becaue it is not very accessible at all.

Thread Information