Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: blog post: stop wasting your money on fancy experiences

Yppej
    Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    other news headlines! (Try comparing the headlines of an ex-US paper about a US event with the headline of the same event written for a US audience. Talk about eye-opening).
    You could also get this from a TV package that includes international networks like Al Jazeera, which does have an English speaking station.

I don't buy that people who travel have better and broader perspectives. Maybe it goes back to reading Innocents Abroad by Mark Twain. If you actually live in a country and immerse yourself in it that is different in my mind.

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    I guess the point of the article is spending money is spending money and if you can't afford it you shouldn't do it.

People who advocate spending on experiences tend to be the anti-consumerist people who look at "things" as worthless drag on resources, landfills, and are empty fulfillment because they don't make you happier.

Those people will argue that experiences fortify social connection, get you to expand your horizons (as razz suggested), and open you to seeing things anew. I get a thrill every time I travel--even business travel is fun for me. I understand that a lot of people wouldn't agree. I've had clients say to me, "Oh, you poor thing, you have to travel!" to which I respond "I look at it as 'Lucky me, I GET to travel!"

My two sons went together on a trip to Europe and I was so gratified to hear one of them say that it changed how they saw the world. Fait accompli.

I have to admit that I'm starting to gag watching those gosh darned HGTV shows, especially the vacation home ones, where the perky mom and dad with 2-3 kids and two dogs say that they want to purchase the $500,000 vacation home in order to allow their kids to "make memories." I truly have no issue with the idea of it--I've spoken about my own positive experiences growing up with my aunt at her cottage, but that phrase is just so trite and contrived. You can't cook up a memory.

But again, the idea is.... is there a "right" way to spend money, if you don't have the money to spend? Probably not. The "right" way would be to not spend at all.

Perfectly said, Catherine.

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    You could also get this from a TV package that includes international networks like Al Jazeera, which does have an English speaking station.

I don't buy that people who travel have better and broader perspectives. Maybe it goes back to reading Innocents Abroad by Mark Twain. If you actually live in a country and immerse yourself in it that is different in my mind.
    Hear, hear! Travel often seems to me like a forced march, trying to cram all the "experiences" into a too-short time frame and being uncomfortably stressed the whole time. I wouldn't mind being dropped into various cultures for a year or two each so that I could get to know them intimately without all the frantic rushing around.

YMOYL as I recall, from reading decades ago, was all about deciding what you want out of life and then getting control of your own finances to enable that. A basic concept of "simple living", is to question and be introspective about how to spend your own money. This involves challenging preconceived notions, pressures we get from our surrounding culture and advertising. It is pretty much necessary, in the road toward FI. So the idea of spending scads of money traveling when you are in debt, is worthy of challenge. Personally, I like the idea of having the freedom to travel as long as I want; and working towards FI so one can do that, is to me, a better choice. First things first! There are ways to travel, with much less cost, but it does require some knowledge and bit of risk taking. Actually NOT having a job, and being FI, opens up new possibilities for cheaper and more meaningful travel.

Quote Originally Posted by Packratona! View Post
    YMOYL as I recall, from reading decades ago, was all about deciding what you want out of life and then getting control of your own finances to enable that. A basic concept of "simple living", is to question and be introspective about how to spend your own money. This involves challenging preconceived notions, pressures we get from our surrounding culture and advertising. It is pretty much necessary, in the road toward FI. So the idea of spending scads of money traveling when you are in debt, is worthy of challenge. Personally, I like the idea of having the freedom to travel as long as I want; and working towards FI so one can do that, is to me, a better choice. First things first! There are ways to travel, with much less cost, but it does require some knowledge and bit of risk taking. Actually NOT having a job, and being FI, opens up new possibilities for cheaper and more meaningful travel.

Exactly!

WE have been to Europe 4x's and each time was awesome. We like to spend time in one area so spent 2 weeks in Rome and 2 weeks just in the Tuscany area. In the next few years we are planning a 4 month trip to Europe. This summer we are taking a huge driving trip going all over the states. We intend to travel while we are both still healthy and able too. Europe is not very accessible like here so much harder if you have a physical mobility issue.-

Yes, I can speak about mobility issues. Husband tore up his knee right before a 3 week tour of France. He still went with his walker. Cobblestones, stairs, and crowds are not good with walkers. One hotel had no elevator which is quite common. Many restrooms were found in basements again the elevators are not a necessity in old buildings. We worked around it and are going back next year so he can actually see some of Paris.

I like to travel, not endlessly, and not on some quest to see every country. But when I have been abroad my mind seems to take in so much more, and exploring great places creates great memories.

At home too often one day runs in to the next - work, walk with my dog, read, ride my bike, garden, workout. I do some activities that are slightly more interesting - dance, painting, remodeling projects - but I really remember clearly the vacations, and the times when I've had remarkable experiences boating, camping, at the theatre.

I have few possessions that mean anything to me, and the ones that do are means to more experiences, like my bike and my tools.

Travel doesn't need to cost a fortune - but any cost at all is obviously too much for someone in debt.

This summer we are taking a huge driving trip and will probably be gone 5-7 weeks. We are visiting all our friends and family in many states and then up to Northern WI to show my DH many awesome places I went in my childhood, then Canada and Glacier National Park. We are taking the dogs so won't be on any kind of timetable.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    This summer we are taking a huge driving trip and will probably be gone 5-7 weeks. We are visiting all our friends and family in many states and then up to Northern WI to show my DH many awesome places I went in my childhood, then Canada and Glacier National Park. We are taking the dogs so won't be on any kind of timetable.
    I love road trips! Yours sounds GREAT! Have fun!
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Thread Information