Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: blog post: stop wasting your money on fancy experiences

I am in perfect accord with Jane on this issue. Maybe years spent traveling for work can ruin it for a person. Maybe aging creates more of an appreciation for rootedness. Never understood the peculiar joy some take simply from hauling themselves around. But to each his own. There are plenty of other "pleasures" I don't understand. All I ask is that they keep the pictures to a decent minimum.

We never got to travel so we love it. However, I don't get people posting on Facebook pictures while they are gone. It just screams rob my home since it is empty. I take very few pictures and only show them to people if they ask. We will be gone for 6 weeks this summer and I am really looking forward to it. WE have been to many national parks and this summer will go to Glacier.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    We never got to travel so we love it. However, I don't get people posting on Facebook pictures while they are gone. It just screams rob my home since it is empty. I take very few pictures and only show them to people if they ask. We will be gone for 6 weeks this summer and I am really looking forward to it. WE have been to many national parks and this summer will go to Glacier.
    That approach is both prudent and courteous.

A friend of mine moved to Europe for a year. He asked his friends who wanted pics and descriptions and put those people on a email list. Then monthly he gave an update with pics and knew that the people receiving them actually wanted them. I go on Facebook to see people's kids and pets. I totally hate it when people post what they are eating, etc. Who cares? The one exception was when my friend and I went to Poland with my kids and my DIL's mom cooked us a delicious meal every night and the desserts looked like they came out of a bakery. My friend posted the unusual ones and her mom was thrilled.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    We have been to many National Parks as well. I absolutely LOVED Glacier. If you like to hike, this is the place to go! There are not many places that I would go again but would go back to Glacier in a second!

and you can get there to Glacier national park by train, right there to the lodge itself, and get around via shuttles afterward, no car needed.
    Trees don't grow on money

I post my travels on my FB page for me. I use it as a travel diary and love the FB memories feature when they pop back up (for my eyes only) from years past. It isn't for bragging or feedback, just a way for me to track a moment in time. Our home is never unoccupied while we travel so that isn't a concern.

We have been to Yellowstone, Grand Tetons, Zion, Grand Canyon and loved them all. We need our car as we are taking a 5k trip this summer with 3 dogs.

ohhhh National Parks. So far: Zion, Bryce, Yellowstone, Grand Teton, Sequoia, King's Canyon, Rocky Mountain, Craters of the Moon, City of Rocks, Hagerman fossil Beds, Crater Lake, Hells Canyon, Oregon Dunes......getting a pattern? out west

OK, my National Parks list from mostly the last 10 years: Grand Canyon (North & South Rims), Yellowstone, Zion, Bryce, Grand Teton, Arches, Canyonlands, Denali, Rocky Mountain, Black Canyon of the Gunnison, Mesa Verde, Dinosaur, Petrified Forest, Mammoth Caves, Gettysburg, Smoky Mountain, Colonial Williamsburg, Yosemite, Jewel, and maybe a couple of others which escape me at the moment
    (not counting National Monuments and Memorials from coast to coast).

We have a lifetime National Park Service Pass and have completely filled our first National Park Passport and gotten a good start on the second.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Thread Information