Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: blog post: stop wasting your money on fancy experiences

AWESOME ALAN

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    I am in perfect accord with Jane on this issue. Maybe years spent traveling for work can ruin it for a person. Maybe aging creates more of an appreciation for rootedness. Never understood the peculiar joy some take simply from hauling themselves around. But to each his own. There are plenty of other "pleasures" I don't understand. All I ask is that they keep the pictures to a decent minimum.
    I traveled many years for work also. Aging also has not dimmed my desire for adventure either. Thankfully I have a partner who shares my passion! As you say, to each ....

But I think from time to time we should award ourselves with some fancy experience, not always, but sometimes. You know, life is too short to live economical the whole life.
    “Salt in the air, sand in my hair.”

Quote Originally Posted by razz View Post

We all need to do that to get out of our tribal, 'silo' way of thought. Those who rarely venture outside their familiar terrain seem, in my experience anyway, as far more judgmental and intolerant of others. Is this necessarily true? No! But it does take more effort to break down walls with the unfamiliar.
    This sums up my brother, he never got out of Ontario, Canada, ever in his life. He died at 70 of cancer, barely knowing our province. He had money and time and health for most of his life, but he preferred to be judgemental and critical of those who chose to travel to as many places as they could afford to, and see as much as they could. I was one he criticized. I feel he missed out on a lot.

Yppej
    There used to be a simple living meme "don't go shopping" (if you are in debt) and you would think "don't go on vacation" if you're in debt is also reasonable, but when I say that I am called jealous, petty, and told I have a vendetta. Vacations have become an entitlement for certain social classes. Yet millions of lower income folks never get to take one, both for financial reasons and because their jobs don't offer paid time off. Yet rather than advocating for these folks the jetsetters defend their privilege. I agree with the blog post: stop wasting your money on fancy experiences.

It’s about choices . Some people choose to own a home, some take vacation, etc. If you never do anything for fun it’s not a life worth living.

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    There used to be a simple living meme "don't go shopping" (if you are in debt) and you would think "don't go on vacation" if you're in debt is also reasonable, but when I say that I am called jealous, petty, and told I have a vendetta.
    Yppej: One thing is true. You need a vacation!

Also: You are acting like a jealous, petty person with a vendetta. Walk like a duck and quack like a duck, people are going to think you are a duck.

Vacations have become an entitlement for certain social classes.
    I think 4 weeks vacation time should the law for everyone. I also think we need living wage laws. The work I did in the labor movement was, in part, to get these sorts of policies into effect via union contract (since laws like this are damn near impossible).

Ever do any activism?

Yet millions of lower income folks never get to take one, both for financial reasons and because their jobs don't offer paid time off.
    And I think this is wrong. People need a living wage and time off that is paid for. Again, I spent years in the labor movement advocating for these things. How long were you in the trenches for America's working families?

Yet rather than advocating for these folks the jetsetters defend their privilege. I agree with the blog post: stop wasting your money on fancy experiences.
    Okay, that is just, like, your opinion, man!

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    It’s about choices . Some people choose to own a home, some take vacation, etc. If you never do anything for fun it’s not a life worth living.
    Amen, sister!

Yppej
    Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    If you never do anything for fun it’s not a life worth living.
    If your reason for living is hedonism. But for someone like UL it's all about amazing public service in the trenches.

If your reason for living is hedonism. But for someone like UL it's all about amazing public service in the trenches.
    You are quite visibly spiraling out of control now, grasping at anything to prevent your complete rhetorical obliteration here.

Thread Information