Thread: File decluttering continues

File decluttering continues

Well, expanded the file declutter project, all files are fair game.
    Ended up getting rid of old house docs pre 10 years ago. Saved a tiny folder full--deeds, but that is about it. May pitch those later.

Involved husband in actual burning so he had to actually touch the documents. I felt a lot of panic doing it, he kept trying to avoid working on them, I told him he needed to be there for me if for no other reason. Felt a lot of sorrow and loss while getting rid of them.

It is very hard to do. Now that it is done, feels better. But last night had weird dreams about some of the old houses, looking for a place to live, old neighbors, lots of old psychic stuff stirred.

Also burned lots of medical files. So weird to see all this money, records of what we spent money on, going into the cosmos. I put some white sage branches from last year's garden in there, to purify the stuff, especially the house files. Have kept some files from chronic illness but may get rid of some old hospital files that fill me with sorrow and anger about being sick and receiving really bad care.

First pass through the taxes done, may do another before putting them away.

That's great. Well done, Tybee. I love the white sage idea. I may try that when I finally release those old credit records. I still don't know why I cling to them, except maybe looking at them is the same as an alcoholic going to AA all the time: as long as you know how close you are to a self-destructive lifestyle, whether it's substance abuse or the slavery of debt, it keeps you vigilant against going back there.

I understand the feelings of sorrow and loss. I think it's something we're going to have to accept and push through constantly as we get older.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Thanks, Catherine. Yesterday working with the IRA files stirred up a lot of hostility towards my spouse and my extended family.
    It doesn't help that we are iced in and everything seems hopeless.

You are so right about sorrow and loss--it is why I have not been participating in the My Favorite Year (homage to Peter O'Toole!) thread, which made me sad, to think all those things are in the past.

But I like reading that thread and it has made me realize that maybe I need to be looking at it differently--what are the themes of what made years my favorites, and what of those themes can I have more of in my life going forward?

This is also what I am trying to do with the money, but it is SO HARD, to see all that life energy that feels like it was wasted.

That's great!
    One of the things that didn't make sense to me in the Kondo book was how she said you only needed one file. I guess life is simpler when you're younger.

Quote Originally Posted by Gardenarian View Post
    That's great!
    One of the things that didn't make sense to me in the Kondo book was how she said you only needed one file.
    (disclaimer: haven't read the book) I can tell you that very few of the papers in that one file bring me joy.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

I feel like a kindergardener in a group of high schoolers here.

I dont know the status of our paperwork. DH is super dooper ultra protective of it all. I have observed that he, once a year, brings some files downstairs from their third floor abode. He brings them down and burns them in our fireplace. At least, he SEEMS to be doing it yearly. We do have conversations about the pile of paper, and tells me that he cleans it out annually. I dare not touch it to confirm that.

Until very recently he was paper based, and still is largely paper based although several of our bills are now set up to be paid electronically.

Anyway, the point of this post is that I have nearly 0 control over the paper mess of financial records in my house and it makes me anxious if I think about it too much, so tra la tra la, not thinking about it now...

I did recently get rid of a bunch of my own personal records in the form of small mementos and old letters and including jewelry. And I even traded in a gold ring from an old boyfriend for cash. This stuff wasnt taking up much real room but it was occupying a bit of psychic space in my head. A few pieces I still couldnt part with.
    Last edited by iris lilies; 4-19-18 at 11:28am.

Thread Information