Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Work clothes gone!!

Work clothes gone!!

I've been retired two years now and decided it was time to purge the two boxes of "career" clothes I somehow couldn't let go of. Silliness to have even moved them to our retirement house. Today while a spring snow fell, I went through two large boxes of clothes and put them in the Goodwill pile. Not sure why I held on to them so long other than the remembrance of how much I spent at the time and some notion that I might need them in some distant future. As is usually the case when we let go of things no longer needed, I feel so much lighter. I want to only have clothes that fit well and that I like so there was no longer a need to keep them. Hoping someone out there will find them of use.

I think that we all do this. Welcome to freedom from old stuff!
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Good for you, pinkytoe. I did the same thing last fall a few months after retirement, and then again recently. I think it takes our brain a while to realize we won't be using these items anymore.
    Definitely simplifies things!

Yppej
    I am looking forward to the day when I can live in sweatpants. Good for you!

Quote Originally Posted by pinkytoe View Post
    I've been retired two years now and decided it was time to purge the two boxes of "career" clothes I somehow couldn't let go of. Silliness to have even moved them to our retirement house. Today while a spring snow fell, I went through two large boxes of clothes and put them in the Goodwill pile. Not sure why I held on to them so long other than the remembrance of how much I spent at the time and some notion that I might need them in some distant future. As is usually the case when we let go of things no longer needed, I feel so much lighter. I want to only have clothes that fit well and that I like so there was no longer a need to keep them. Hoping someone out there will find them of use.

Retirement definitely requires less clothing. The irony is that for the first time in my life, the bedroom has a large walk-in closet.

Good work, Pinkytoe! I'm glad my employer had moved to a more relaxed dress code over the past few years, so I don't have too much corporate wear to divest. I wore a pair of black pants to a wake last month, and have otherwise worn nothing but jeans since retirement. This suits me just fine!

God I couldnt wait to get rid of several blazers, dumped them the week after I retired. Ut funny, I stil, buy the occasional blazer or accept one from my friend because now I go to garden club events where I wear these things.

I only had one blazer - a black one and it went head first in the give away pile.

I definitely no longer wear blazers. I dumped my work clothes shortly after retiring. I just kept 2 pairs of dress pants and 4 dresses.

Thread Information