Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Grocery delivery

Grocery delivery

15-18 years ago when I lived in Chicago's Lincoln Park neighborhood, I tried Peapod a few times when it was first starting out. It was OK, but expensive, but not walking 4 blocks with groceries was very nice.

Fast forward to 2018. I'd been seeing ads for Shipt.com on Facebook for a few months. In my area, they deliver for Meijer. Jewel-Osco (major Chicago grocery chain) just started their own delivery service.

A month ago I was diagnosed with shingles at the young age of 49. Left buttock, right on top of where my sciatica pain comes from. Probably brought upon by the stress at work over the past months. I was out of work for 2 days then gimping around for a few. I'm on Gabapentin for the nerve pain which has mostly stopped.

Anyway, I needed groceries badly while I was off. In the past, I would have called up a friend and asked her to get me some groceries. But I ordered groceries from Meijer via Shipt. They came within a few hours. I even got a big pack of toilet paper. It was a bit more expensive than going myself to Meijer, plus $15 a month fee, but it is SO worth it.

My left leg is still wonky. I have significant muscle weakness in my left leg, right where leg muscles go into my hip. I have issues lifting up my left leg to bring it into my car, for example. I talked to my GP and got a referral to a PT. Went for my eval this week. PT had never heard of muscle weakness like this after the shingles. I'm going for 10 PT sessions, twice a week for 5 weeks. I've got a good PPO for health insurance. I only pay $20 copay per visit. I'm allowed 60 PT sessions a year.

Anyway, at the PT eval, I was asked what I was doing about grocery shopping. PT seemed surprised I was doing online shopping/delivery. She must deal with a lot of older people who would have someone shop for them.

Shipt.com partners with a number of grocery chains. Aldi is beginning delivery through Instacart, but it's not yet in my area. I believe later this year.

Delivery is important as an option for such situations as yours. Our area seems to have just about every grocery chain including Walmart offering an online order and then drive there for a pickup. Some have tried it and are quite pleased with it. Not sure what the extra cost is though. I see the store staff travelling with their large carts and there seem to be a number doing this job.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Yppej
    For me any temporary disability has been a great excuse to ride around in the store provided motorized carts.

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    For me any temporary disability has been a great excuse to ride around in the store provided motorized carts.
    I've always wondered what it would be like to ride around a store in one of those carts......Rob

Tried a wheelchair once and hopefully never again. What I wanted was never in arms reach. So I was only good at pointing out what I needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    Doesn’t help when you’ve got to get your groceries back into your apt.

My DH likes to grocery shop but if I had to do it I would be ordering online.

My mom has turned to ordering groceries on-line for home delivery because she doesn't want to ask her kids for supermarket trips and she doesn't have the stamina to negotiate the icy sidewalks left by the absentee landlords. For her prices have been comparable because the market she buys from has lower prices than her regular local market, which makes up for the delivery charge. She's been happy with the quality of the produce and meat. The biggest hurdle was showing her how to place her order (totally computer-illiterate). She still needs help with that but she's getting better.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

I think I've seen ads for Safeway and Walmart food delivery around here, but I'm not sure on details.

Just chiming in to add that I hope PT and meds can get you feeling better soon!

Tradd, when we lived in Chicago area we used Peapod. I loved it. Is it gone now?
    I would try Shipt and Meijer over Jewel. I think the produce is better.

Thread Information