Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sad to see it go.....

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar

Sad to see it go.....

The neighbors next door to me from Guatemala - wonderful neighbors, may I add - helped me out big time (and my cousin who I co-own this property with too) by removing a 13 year old sour orange citrus tree from the South Side of the house yesterday.

The insurance company (homeowner's) wanted it gone and there was not much that could be done about it and I even think it was a fair call on the insurance company's part as the tree was starting to overhang the roof. So it's wise to have it gone, I get that.

I just don't like seeing it gone. I remember the day I planted it and the drama that was going on in my life at that time and somehow I've found some strength over the years that this tree took and flourished where I planted it just like I have tried to when I can.

I did put a Ruellia plant (a low growing desert adapted bush with purple flowers) in it's place but it's not the same thing........Rob

I'm sorry, Rob - I hate to see healthy trees go. And I have a lot of trees and shrubs we've planted that are associated with very fond memories; I get what you're saying. so sad. Around here, if trees overhanging roofs would disqualify one from insurance, there wouldn't be an insured home within miles, lol. That said, we have a huge old and distressed maple that really DOES have to go; if it falls, it could hit our home, and the neighbors, and block the road to boot. I REALLY need to call a tree company; it's not going to be a job for amateurs. *sigh*

Sorry. I know out that way there aren't as many trees as the mid-west and that would make me sad to lose a mature tree. We woke up one Easter Sunday about 18-19 years ago to 12 trees down in our front yard. Thankfully none hit the house and I still have a tree covered front yard even without replacing any we lost in that wind storm.

Oh, that sucks, rob. I know how you feel. In my area two things have happened that have been the death knell for many trees in my neighborhood--Emerald Ash Borer, which has infested all the ash trees. When the neighborhood was built in the 70s, the developer and the township lined all the streets with ash trees, and they are all mature now, but most are showing signs of disease. So people have been cutting them down rather than treating them.

On top of that, we lost a lot of limbs in the March storm that put a lot of heavy snow stress on our trees. As a result many of my neighbors just got spooked and are just removing all the trees on their property!! Every day I hear a tree company buzzing down trees. The neighborhood is starting to look like a Monopoly board with houses just plopped on bare lots. I hate it.

And like you, I tend to have a "relationship" with my trees, and it's so sad to see them go. When I finally have to have my ash taken down, I'm going to have to leave and let my husband supervise. It will be too difficult to watch. And I, too, plan to replace the tree ASAP.

My condolences to you, but I'm sure your Ruella will be beautiful, too.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Rob, I am sorry. I feel so sad when I lose a tree, and one that I planted--I'd be heartbroken.

Catherine, what a horrible scenario with the ash borer. I think you ought to sell that house and get thee to a permanent big house in Vermont! But that's just my opinion, of course!

We lost 1 1/2 of the 4 100 plus year maples in front of our house here in a big storm last summer. If I lost them all, I'd sell in a heartbeat--they are the only thing I really love about the house.

I've also realized that I get used to seeing trees and enjoying them for years, and it's a mini-shock when they are gone. One of my neighbors had a large tree in their front yard that I think just got too big for the space so they had it removed. But it was a neighborhood touchstone, darn it - wish they could have been able to keep it.

On a related note, Rob, have you ever checked out the annual offer by SRP (local utility company) to provide 2 free trees to homeowners? The goal is to have trees planted around your home to provide shade to decrease air conditioning use. I did it several years ago and now have a Palo Verde and two Mesquite trees in my backyard (south side of the house) providing much-needed shade. Start making new memories, as they say...

Trees are The Enemy

More later

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    Trees are The Enemy

More later

I knew you'd weigh in with your anti-tree hogwash!
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town

Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post
    Catherine, what a horrible scenario with the ash borer. I think you ought to sell that house and get thee to a permanent big house in Vermont! But that's just my opinion, of course!
    Thank you, Tybee--but I truly am hoping that this house is THE house for us. I don't think I'll ever be able to afford a big house, nor do I think I want one. I read books like Walden and 12 x 12 (about a woman who lived in a 12 x 12 cabin) with pure envy. And the times I've lived in small spaces confirms to me my dreams are not unrealistic: I've lived for months in a hotel room with 2 small children without feeling cabin fever, and I lived in a very small 1 bedroom cottage by myself without feeling the slightest bit cramped--in fact, it was freeing.

Not to say I'm not nervous about living with DH in a small house--he has such a big personality I usually need some spatial buffer, but we'll see. The way I see it there are scads of couples who live in apartments no bigger than my VT house, and they get along. I did some patient ethnographries with a videographer who lives in a 500 sq.ft. apartment with his fiancee, and he says it's fine. But he's super organized--he says that if he doesn't use something in 6 months, it's outta there. Now, I have something that those apartment-dwellers don't--3 outbuildings! My desire is to minimize and to reduce the burden on my kids when they have to sort through my crap, but I realize it will be a process.

Anyway, sorry for the hijack.

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    Thank you, Tybee--but I truly am hoping that this house is THE house for us. I don't think I'll ever be able to afford a big house, nor do I think I want one. I read books like Walden and 12 x 12 (about a woman who lived in a 12 x 12 cabin) with pure envy. And the times I've lived in small spaces confirms to me my dreams are not unrealistic: I've lived for months in a hotel room with 2 small children without feeling cabin fever, and I lived in a very small 1 bedroom cottage by myself without feeling the slightest bit cramped--in fact, it was freeing.

Not to say I'm not nervous about living with DH in a small house--he has such a big personality I usually need some spatial buffer, but we'll see. The way I see it there are scads of couples who live in apartments no bigger than my VT house, and they get along. I did some patient ethnographries with a videographer who lives in a 500 sq.ft. apartment with his fiancee, and he says it's fine. But he's super organized--he says that if he doesn't use something in 6 months, it's outta there. Now, I have something that those apartment-dwellers don't--3 outbuildings! My desire is to minimize and to reduce the burden on my kids when they have to sort through my crap, but I realize it will be a process.

Anyway, sorry for the hijack.
    Good for you--as you know, I am committed to upsizing right now, although this file project is freaking me out and making me question whether the upsize thing is just to get more storage space, and why I need so much storage space.
    We have lived in too small spaces now for the last 10 years, and I am so tired of it. I used to fantasize about living in an airstream, but I think I was wrong.

I just don't know anymore.

Thread Information