Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sad to see it go.....

I am aligned with the enemy; I love trees! Sorry for your loss, Rob. We have lost a lot of our Canadian Hemlocks and it is truly a loss, because it take a long time for a tree to grow to mature size.

Bummer! Loosing a nice tree is bad on it's own, but ones that you've planted yourself have a special time marker in the progression of life.

The older I get, the more I like plants and trees of all shapes and sizes. We have two large spruces side by side and one is leaning precariously towards the neighbor's house and needs to come down. It pains me to do so both in the wallet and in the heart. I know it has nests in it too.

I think nesting season for almost all birds most places is over by July if you can arrange tree work after then, although it's unfortunate to take away a good nesting spot. I had to remove a huge Blue Spruce whose roots were turning my driveway into rubble. It had several remnants of little unused nests you would never see from the ground. It seems like as a general observation that people plant trees and even perennials in places where they just won't work for one reason or another when they become full grown.

We've watched the hatching of multiple baby birds in the bushes along our lanai. When we needs to treat our house for termites, the bushes needed to be cut down to ground level. They are coming back, but not tall enough for nesting. I told dh that I was sad we hadn't had hatchlings. He then said there were babies in the tree but they flew off a week ago. Dang, I was a mother and totally missed it! Lol!

We spent a few days in Hermann, chopping down trees,dead ones, dying ones, scrubby ones, and all manner of viney stuff clinging to them including poisen ivy, brape vines, and eunonymous. It will be a couple years work of work on The Grove and we will have to hire some of it out, the dead 25’ tree is dangerous needing large equipment. But trees serve an important function on our hill, they attract lightening. Several have been hit in recdnt years.

Included in The Grove of scrubby junk trees is a mishapen young ash tree. Normally we would consider keeping it and tending to it to shape it into something nice, but Emerald Ash Borer precludes that decision. It is dead but doesn't know it.

Previous owners planted a lot of stuff, but didnt take care of it. The flowering shrubs are spindly and bare of flowers. But there may be some nice things coming out, we shall see. There is a pecan tree, DH identified an apple and a cherry tree, and I would love the small leaved holly tree if previous owners had not burnt it. There is another very tall holly tree that could have been beautiful if someone didnt mistreat it, but it is largely bare. shaped it, Ugly.

we have three large trees that are nice, a couple near the house and that makes insurance men ansty, but we shall see how these trees behave.

Also while we were in Hermann, DH planted aboit a dozen fruit trees to get his orchard started. Old tree out, new tree in.

Thread Information