Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is Buddhism a trigger for anyone?

I have no negative reactions to any eastern belief system (Buddhism, Taoism, etc.). There are others that leave a bad taste in my mouth from repeated negative encounters.

Hindu and Buddhist are seen more as philosophies than religions, and thus less are less contentious.
    "All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.” -- Gandalf

This is theory 0. (All theory, no data.) But the Christian woman who forbid you to talk to her husband either has trust issues with her husband or his faith is very weak or both. I can accept 1) to lead a moral life, (2) to be mindful and aware of thoughts and actions, and (3) to develop wisdom and understanding. as something to attain without abandoning my faith. But when it comes to trusting my afterlife to a Savior, Buddha never rose from the dead. Let sleeping prophets lie. Maybe it is a trigger, as the two things you aren't suppose to discuses are politics and religion.

I am a 60 year old white woman and, so far, I have never received any negativity from anyone at my workplace or neighborhood, etc. when it is learned I consider myself to be a Buddhist. Don't know what anyone may be thinking, but their thoughts are their own.

http://inthefootstepsofthebuddha.com...not-important/

From the above link:
    Yesterday friend of mine sent me an email with a a brief dialogue between the Brazilian theologist Leonardo Boff and the Dalai Lama, which deeply touched me. Here is what Leonardo, one of the renovators of the Theology of Freedom, recounts of this remarkable encounter:
    In a round table discussion about religion and freedom in which Dalai Lama and myself were participating at recess I maliciously, and also with interest, asked him: 

“Your holiness, what is the best religion?”

He answered:
 “The best religion is the one that gets you closest to God. It is the one that makes you a better person.”

To get out of my embarrassment with such a wise answer, I asked: “What is it that makes me better?”

He responded: “Whatever makes you more compassionate, more sensible, more detached, more loving, more humanitarian, more responsible, more ethical.” “The religion that will do that for you is the best religion”
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Apart from the occasional snark about “cultural appropriation” or “people dabbling in Eastern religions”, I don’t think i’ve ever heard anything negative.

I feel no great need to inform people that my life philosophy tends to be around eastern religions and philosophies. The fact that I don't eat meat is a little harder to keep private.

Years ago the Dali Lama gave a talk in one of our large venue places. At the end he took a few preselected questions from the audience. One of the questions was whether the world would be a better place if everyone converted to Buddhism. He basically said, no, that the conversion process would cause too much conflict.

Thread Information