Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: I may be done with this field of work

Yppej
    The nuns in my area drive but it is a group not a personal vehicle. I get what you're saying though.

Celibacy is said to be the downside. It would seem to me a very small price to pay to escape the world though. However I would not be a very convincing nun. I really just want to escape the world afterall, not so much to pray or meditate.
    Trees don't grow on money

Yppej what nuns are those? I know nuns in the Thervadan traditioan and they have a lot of rules. It is begging bowls at the farmer's market really. There are a lot of adaptations so that they don't starve in the winter, or basically go hungry in this culture. Our nun stores food, cooks and actually has a pet. All not allowed. Of course in India people are close together, community based, and traditionally monks were closer to the people who gave them food.

I could do the hair style (shaved) and would struggle with the robes! I am uncoordinated enough without trying to keep a wrapped sheet from falling off me!

Yppej
    Mahayana from Vietnam.

ANM, why would you want to escape the world?

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    ANM, why would you want to escape the world?
    I guess I have had the fantasy about joining a monastery the way some fantasize about winning the lottery (I would not object to that either).

Just to escape the workplace, the job market, etc.. To escape all these things I don't even fully understand, that I can ride the waves of and survive (present circumstances notwithstanding), but that always seemed aimed to destroy or at least hurt me and that are strange and alienating and painful anyway.

I never said I would be hugely devout, there is a reason I'm not *actually* a nun and rather just have being a nun fantasies (although praying or meditating all day wouldn't be the worst thing). And vows of poverty seem minor if there was some alternative path (and that's one of the few I know still in existence), as do vows of chastity really. Neither seem that huge really or ever have.
    Trees don't grow on money

We all have easy solution fantasizes from time to time)

Student loans don't care about vows of poverty

Yppej
    If you're low incone enough aren't they deferred?

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    If you're low incone enough aren't they deferred?
    Can you defer them forever?

Thread Information