Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I may be done with this field of work

I may be done with this field of work

I am close to being simply done with this work. I liked my jobs in banking a lot, and it wouldn't pay well to start with but maybe it is just time to change. Something to explore at least. Many companies support volunteer work so my youth work could be in that capacity (still going to run the Girls on the Run 5K in May no matter what). What is burning me out is the job search primarily, and asking to be seen as competent as well as a foundation in deep caring.

Yppej
    Banking will not have the long hours and you get lots of holidays. I think you could really use the work-life balance now.

I think that's why I sought out a university (state) job early on. Normal hours, holidays, weekends, benefits. I can thank my twenty years there for a pension that allowed me to retire at just past 60.

It's ok to do another field. I don't think it is so easy to transition, but that of course can be tested so I wouldn't take my word (you can send out resumes, if you happen to know anyone in that field discuss it with them etc., and see where it leads). If you are thinking teller, there is of course some risk there, those people get bank robbers etc., but clearly some people don't mind running that risk. Banking back office (working at the local headquarters etc.) has no such risks of course.

I think it is too early to be burned out by job search. Getting interviews IS getting good results. That is different than wanting to start another field which might be best if you would prefer it. But the job search process is hard period. It is asking to be seen as competent, that's the whole process.

(And yes there will come a time I do a new field too if not something more radical (well if 40s is too old to get work at any but the most senior level in anything, I guess I'll have to look at other options). I can't just look for work forever and ever, I'm trying to get a job in what I've done because I think it's my best bet at a job period, but at times we have to drop our bets. But things seems much worse than they were before 2008 and they aren't ever going to return to those good old days, that part just seems the way things are).
    Trees don't grow on money

Quote Originally Posted by Zoe Girl View Post
    I am close to being simply done with this work. I liked my jobs in banking a lot, and it wouldn't pay well to start with but maybe it is just time to change. Something to explore at least. Many companies support volunteer work so my youth work could be in that capacity (still going to run the Girls on the Run 5K in May no matter what). What is burning me out is the job search primarily, and asking to be seen as competent as well as a foundation in deep caring.
    Research wages in the banking industry. What I have found is they normally do not pay well. YLMV

Quote Originally Posted by frugal-one View Post
    Research wages in the banking industry. What I have found is they normally do not pay well. YLMV
    Few pink-collar jobs pay enough to live on, IMO.

I really like this idea--if your heart is telling you to go back to banking, I think that is very important!
    I would enjoy the adult contact, having coworkers, and dressing up a bit! Oh, and banker's hours!

Thanks all, maybe too soon as I am hearing. I am feeling some middle age regret, mid life crisis with some empty nest. But part of me also misses the math. I left math and science because I couldn't quite manage the competitive nature and general sexism. I had no encouragement, little support and I was a small, quite attractive, and it was the 80's. This actually makes me cry, for me and all the women who have had similar experiences.

I am in a pink collar industry because my entire life has been about being trained to make other people feel better, to not tell anyone when I got the best and fastest math score. I literally waited until a boy turned his paper in. To not bring attention to my reading level, I read books 2 and 3 times in the same time as other kids. I passed calculus without studying. And then I stopped pushing for a long time. Now I am pushing and I have to ask myself if I used the same tone and words as a man would I have attitude problem and defiant on my work record.

Maybe over the top and maybe sensitive. And really tired.

Zoe, banking as we've known it is going away or at least changing a great deal. A good friend of mine has been in banking for 35+ years. It's all she's ever known. She keeps getting downsized as branches are being closed and bank chains are consolidating.

Please think about about this. You need something steady and reliable. I don't think banking would be that.

Quote Originally Posted by Tradd View Post
    Zoe, banking as we've known it is going away or at least changing a great deal. A good friend of mine has been in banking for 35+ years. It's all she's ever known. She keeps getting downsized as branches are being closed and bank chains are consolidating.

Please think about about this. You need something steady and reliable. I don't think banking would be that.
    really? I kind of think it might pay more than what she is doing now, and have reasonable hours. Then, she could use the returned hours to pursue the things she is interested in. Her job seems like a high stress, ill paid time suck, but maybe it pays better than I suspect.

Thread Information