Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: I may be done with this field of work

I've never understood that "hiding your light under a bushel" thing. I competed with males all through school and afterwards, and if there was a downside to that, I'm not aware of it. (I did get the "play down your strengths" lecture at home, and ignored it.) I've encountered my share of sexism, but confronted it or shrugged it off. I do, however, greatly regret not studying more of what would be called STEM subjects now. It's never too late to be who you actually are.

Yppej
    My mother loved math and wanted to study architecture but in the early 60's her college told her women couldn't. She became an elementary ed teacher and got the math in that way.

Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post
    really? I kind of think it might pay more than what she is doing now, and have reasonable hours. Then, she could use the returned hours to pursue the things she is interested in. Her job seems like a high stress, ill paid time suck, but maybe it pays better than I suspect.
    A banking job may very well pay better and have better hours, but what's the point of taking such a job if the industry is very unstable?

It's like the people I know who keep asking about doing medical transcription from home. I have a friend who has done it for 15 years, but jobs in the industry are very scarce now with voice to text software. All that's really needed now are people to edit the text. Friend has gotten out of the industry and is going to school for something else.

Zoe needs to do her research without just jumping into a field. How stable is banking in her area? Have lots of branches been closed down, lots of consolidation and layoffs?

Quote Originally Posted by Tradd View Post
    A banking job may very well pay better and have better hours, but what's the point of taking such a job if the industry is very unstable?

It's like the people I know who keep asking about doing medical transcription from home. I have a friend who has done it for 15 years, but jobs in the industry are very scarce now with voice to text software. All that's really needed now are people to edit the text. Friend has gotten out of the industry and is going to school for something else.

Zoe needs to do her research without just jumping into a field. How stable is banking in her area? Have lots of branches been closed down, lots of consolidation and layoffs?
    When I investigated companies for the Dept of Labor ... even the bank president did not make much in many banks. REALLY research before you even look at a position in banking.

Yppej
    The position I tuned down recently due to low compensation was at a credit union.

I think Tradd makes a good point. I personally never interact with bank tellers anymore. It is all ATMs and online banking.

Quote Originally Posted by Tradd View Post
    DSiL works at A Large Bank. In the three years he has been with DD, he has been placed in three locations and changed jobs with them at least twice that I know of. A couple of visits ago he was talking about how Large Bank brass were discussing consolidating some of the regional centers containing the people who do what he does (e.g, not a teller or personal banker). As for "banker's hours", I watch the grandkids because his Mondays run from noon to 8 and he works a couple of Saturdays a month (all day). "Anecdote" is not the singular of "data" but take it as you will.

Quote Originally Posted by frugal-one
    When I investigated companies for the Dept of Labor ... even the bank president did not make much in many banks. REALLY research before you even look at a position in banking.
    It's been a long-standing joke that banks are rife with Vice President positions that don't pay anything. Maybe 20 years ago I met a bank Vice President who was making around $30,000 a year. Who cares about the title? Give me the money.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Good to know the inside story of other careers. I know there is a range of experience but I also see the movement to online everything.

About the 'hide your light', I have a lot of self judging feelings about not being able to make it in the sciences. I am glad for women who made it, and I didn't.

So the local bank tellers that I know well (I'm not one for ATMs much) had their bank robbed just this weekend I just found out. I wonder what teller that I know and have interacted with many times had to deal with that.

See ... I don't make up the danger thing, this is really what I've heard but just got more confirmation of (noone hurt this time, probably not even a real threat, but they have to treat them all as real and hand over the money). But other than knowing it carries some risks, I'm not much one to say what field anyone should go into.

I would have thought banks were steady, shows what I know. I mean I curse myself often now for having chosen skills focus (stupid tech skills and not even very marketable niches either apparently at least not here) when I should have chosen an *industry* focus rather than a *skillset* focus! But then what would have been a hot industry to do my work in? I think banks, insurance, healthcare maybe ... shows what i know. Of course if one works, by definition one works in an industry, but one's career can bounce around industries or be in niche industries and thus leave little *marketable* industry focus on the resume.

Quote Originally Posted by Zoe Girl View Post
    About the 'hide your light', I have a lot of self judging feelings about not being able to make it in the sciences. I am glad for women who made it, and I didn't.
    I'm really not competitive by nature. So doing the competing thing .... IT SUCKS!!! I wasn't raised that way and I'm not. I'm more modest. So no I don't feel at home with it. HOWEVER everything is really a matter of: pick your poison. And so compared to say manipulation or cliquishness or other workplace vices, "dick contests" are maybe relatively benign.

You don't realize so much what poison you can live with and what you can't when you are young and naive maybe, you really just want to feel completely like you belong somewhere in the work world (good luck with that ...). But eventually ... pick your poison and if it's dealing with a bunch of braggadocios I can live with it I guess, I've seen much worse than that.
    Last edited by ApatheticNoMore; 4-16-18 at 3:51am.
    Trees don't grow on money

It is good that you are exploring other possible fields, Zoe. Maybe you need to broaden your vision further yet. What about looking in areas like Human Resources or Accounting? They use math, and a lot of computing these days. But we need people calculating our paychecks and putting together our benefit packages!
    Mrs. Hermit

Thread Information