Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: White privelege v. 452

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    True. The article didn't mention all the times the owner of the course called the cops when he thought white people were playing too slowly...
    I’ll bet it happens. I doubt a starter would allow a five-some at most clubs. Those guys can be strict. I wondered if the ladies offered to let the cops play through.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    What would be the point of that?
    Considering that the demographics of the club are heavily weighted towards white people it has presumably happened dozens of times. The fact that the article didnt mention it makes me think it’s unlikely to have ever happened. When i met him SO was the HR director for a chain of country clubs in NJ and eastern PA. Before telling him about this article I asked him how often they used to call teh cops about slow play and he got a quizical look on his face and asked ‘what the eff kind of question is that? Who would do that?’

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    Considering that the demographics of the club are heavily weighted towards white people it has presumably happened dozens of times. The fact that the article didnt mention it makes me think it’s unlikely to have ever happened.
    The article also failed to mention how many non-white groups have played there without incident, so should we assume that's never happened?

That's my problem with stories like this, they provide just enough info to advance a preferred narrative, but not enough to prove it.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

With social media the golf club was really stupid to do this. I bet it will cost them some business and it should. It also appears that they were not golfing too slow as the people behind them had not caught up with them. Glad I don't golf. Sounds like a bunch of snobs to me. I find it funny that they picked on people who actually have the resources to combat this type of treatment.

I just saw an online article that this episode has really hurt the golf club. Also a place that sells them cigars no longer will since they don't want to be aligned with this type of attitude.

white privelege v. 454. Not having the cops called on you when you take a nap in the common room at your grad school dorm.

https://yaledailynews.com/blog/2018/...y-common-room/

Wow.

“You’re in a Yale Building and we need to make sure that you belong here,” one of the officers said to Siyonbola.

In other words, "You're black so you're obviously not a Yalie."

Wow.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    Wow.

“You’re in a Yale Building and we need to make sure that you belong here,” one of the officers said to Siyonbola.

In other words, "You're black so you're obviously not a Yalie."

Wow.
    I'm not sure where the white privilege comes into play here. The story doesn't give any detail other than the barest implication that race was involved.

Having responded to more than my fair share of reports of persons down I think it's more probable that someone was concerned with her welfare when she was noticed sleeping in the building. Once that call was made, it becomes necessary for the responders to identify and ensure the safety of the person down, which probably took a few minutes longer to accomplish since her name was mis-spelled (according to the story).

If I were an activist I'd be careful about presenting things like this as some sort of social ill without more evidence. When every interaction between members of different races is seen as discriminatory, then nothing is discriminatory.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post

If I were an activist I'd be careful about presenting things like this as some sort of social ill without more evidence. When every interaction between members of different races is seen as discriminatory, then nothing is discriminatory.
    I don't think anyone was concerned about HER welfare--the caller was apparently afraid or overly cautious. If you read the comments, some of the defenders of the caller actually use the defense, "Well, you know, Yale is in a very dangerous area of New Haven." and "Just last week someone broke in and stole..." That may be true, but if the sleeper had been white, do you think anyone would rush to an assumption that she was a potential threat from the bad part of town? Be honest. Or is this a case of acceptable racial profiling?
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Maybe it’s just me but if i was concerned for her welfare i wouldnt have called the police, i would have said ‘hey! You ok?’

Thread Information