Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: White privelege v. 452

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

White privelege v. 452

Being able to go to Starbucks and sit there and wait until the rest of your party shows up before ordering. Since I routinely take people out for coffee as part of my job, and am always the person paying, I have literally done this hundreds of times. Never once have I been asked to leave or told I couldn't use the restroom.

https://thinkprogress.org/philly-pol...-11758b06780c/

I wonder what prompted the Starbucks employee to call the police? I'm thinking there may be more to this story than race.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Considering that Starbucks declined to press charges and has since apologized I'm inclined to believe the people who actually witnessed the event rather than make random speculation to try and justify the manager's actions.

Yppej
    So much for their supposedly liberal bias shown in the design of their holiday cups.

When I was a teen my friends and I were yelled at for using a restaurant bathroom but not eating there and told to leave which we did, having already done our business. No chance we we would ever go purchase a meal there.

I did go to the auto dealership with their junk mail in hand recently to try again to stop the spam and robocalls and got past the gatekeeper into a manager's office. They told me I was on private property and if I did not leave they would call police. I left. I bought two cars from this dealership but no chance I will ever give them another penny.

The Starbucks manager is an idiot who does not understand the power of word of mouth to affect sales, or the concept that the customer or potential customer is always right.

I remember when fast food restaurants came to the east coast, and the joy that you could use a clean restroom for free on trips, versus having to buy overpriced gas along the interstate, then borrow a key to use a rundown service station bathroom accesssed from the exterior of the building. And lots of people buy something when they stop.

Barnes and Noble also won me over by providing couches (since removed) and saying you can sit and read their books, versus local booksellers who yelled at me for reading the book blurbs to see if I wanted to get the books. I have spent lots of money ar B&N and not gone to the other places in decades.

The manager should be fired.

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    The manager should be fired.
    Agreed, but now we're in the era where every stupid decision someone might make is an example of "white privilege", and will require a more robust social response. One of our social justice warrior members has recently started talking about life imprisonment for this sort of thing, although I think that's a bit excessive.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Yes the manager should be fired and the staff trained so this does not happen again.

I would agree that it’s not white provelge if this manager makes a habit of tossing out everyone who is waiting for their friend/acquaintence before making a purchase. But if she does that she probably doesnt have a good grasp of what managers do since from what i see in most starbucks half her day wpuld be consumed with acting as a bouncer.

When I was a teen my friends and I were yelled at for using a restaurant bathroom but not eating there and told to leave which we did, having already done our business. No chance we we would ever go purchase a meal there.
    that I don't get. If you use the restroom somewhere it is habit to buy something eventually even if just a coffee. Seems to me that is simple etiquette. We did that even when we stopped on a long car trip at Micky D's.

Since we have massive homeless everywhere, free bathrooms should be readily available perhaps, but that is another discussion for another day (not for nothing do we have hepatitis outbreaks etc..)
    Trees don't grow on money

Yppej
    Quote Originally Posted by ApatheticNoMore View Post
    that I don't get. If you use the restroom somewhere it is habit to buy something eventually even if just a coffee. Seems to me that is simple etiquette. We did that even when we stopped on a long car trip at Micky D's.

Since we have massive homeless everywhere, free bathrooms should be readily available perhaps, but that is another discussion for another day (not for nothing do we have hepatitis outbreaks etc..)
    If there is no sign it is for customers only it is fair game. Barnes and Noble also lets you use the bathroom for free. Smart companies are happy for foot traffic at a time when brick and mortar stores are struggling. They can code the toilet paper to goodwill on their G/L.

The McDonald's in Stockton, CA had locked bathrooms. For us, simple Midwesterners, it was one of the stranger occurrences in CA.

Thread Information