Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: White privelege v. 452

Don’t worry. It’s not just the fancy pants schools.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cnn...rnd/index.html

What "twitchy incidents" have happened at Princeton recently?

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    What "twitchy incidents" have happened at Princeton recently?
    I was thinking of the ongoing effort to make Woodrow Wilson an unperson and the striking of “master” from the vocabulary.

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    Don’t worry. It’s not just the fancy pants schools.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cnn...rnd/index.html
    That’s certainly silliness worthy of a coast.

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    I question #2 "because of the sleeping." Honestly, I know this is not based on facts presented in this case, but I truly feel that if that woman had been white there is no way the other woman would have made the call. In fact, apparently, this is not the first time she's called the police on a BPOC (black person on campus)...
    yes, I agree with this mostly, but not 100%. It is impossible to know what caused the college student to call campus police.

I am guessing that these students are urged, for their own safety, to call campus police if they think something is amiss. Unfortunately that bar for “amiss” is ill defined and vague, so for some people it is pretty low.

Here in Murder City we constantly debate instances of appropriateness for calling the police. And many who DO call are jeered and maligned. But whatever, we as citizens have to take action that seems right for our community. We dont all have the same reaction to the same stimuli.

There is no doubt in my mind that African American persons are looked upon with suspicion far more often than I am, for
    instance, in most situations. There is also no doubt in my mind that our current social climate gives a pass to behavior from the ghetto demographic because of ongoing racist attitudes.

It is this latter mindset that makes me want ro move away from St. louis. I could give details of the tide thatnis turning, but it is boring.

I certainly would not want to live with all the crime that you are experiencing. I would not want to have people sneaking around all the time either. Too much stress in my old age. When I lived in Wichita our neighborhood was ethnically mixed. However, it was middle class with none of the issues you are experiencing.

Our neighborhood and all the ones around it are seriously gentrifying. This brings its own problems.

white privelege v. 454. Being able to take your son for a walk without having the rent-a-cops called on you.

https://www.theroot.com/black-father...all-1826082634

http://www.newsweek.com/white-farmer...nothing-851470

being white works well for these farmers. White privelege rocks!

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    http://www.newsweek.com/white-farmer...nothing-851470

being white works well for these farmers. White privilege rocks!
    Would you be happier if we just called it majority privilege? People attacking minority white farmers on the other side of the world is just as wrong as people calling the cops just because a scary black person was existing nearby closer to home. Neither is right but it seems silly to suggest that because things are different in a different society somehow white privilege doesn't exist here. The worst thing that ever happened to my dad when he was walking me as a small kid was that people accused him of being my grandfather. It undoubtedly never occurred to him to be worried that the cops would be called.

Thread Information