Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: White privelege v. 452

ok, in my effort to simplify for LDAHL I oversimplified. Let's try this again. "benefiting from not having skin color that insight's a group of a-holes' ire"

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    ok, in my effort to simplify for LDAHL I oversimplified.
    I think the real simplification is to assume that every non-positive interaction between members of different races involves racial animus.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

I was thinking more "benefiting from not being the target of the a-hole's ire"
    The guy's point seemed clear enough: no matter how you act or what you think, you "harbor and benefit from racism" by virtue of your skin.

If the only relevant factor is my skin, which I can't change, I see nothing actionable here.

benefit from maybe but only if it's zero sum (and there really are a lot of poor white people whose benefits if they do exists are so narrowly defined as to almost be a moot point IMO). But harbor - uh no, you simply can't say that. It's one thing to say structural racism exists and another thing to make a flying leap: therefore if you are white you are racist as an individual! And with him it's not even a matter of: you have unconscious prejudice, which isn't unique to white cultures ... the same thing can be shown in dominant cultures elsewhere etc. Not it's just unqualified racism. Yea nothing actionable.

I almost wonder if getting a lot out of such writings on privilege is itself a symptom of privilege. I mean I think about the type of person (typical NYT stereotyped reader) who would and think: wow probably has the type of economic privilege that is never going to change or be threatened in any way. Because if you are going to get evicted and will be homeless next month and find some income to tide you over, you might not have much luxury to question and feel guilty about whether or not being white had anything to do with it or not (I realize it's not all white versus black, that some other ethnic groups get almost all jobs through referral etc. - except it does exist, for example my boyfriends prior company actually explicitly didn't want to interview a black guy ... they had plenty of whites and Hispanics but had never hired a black before ..).
    Trees don't grow on money

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/04/25/u...fers-york.html

White privilege v. 453, not having the police called on you when you golf too slowly. And since one of the golfers in the group behind them said they were keeping pace, maybe it's actually just the privilege of not having the police called for playing golf at any speed.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/04/25/u...fers-york.html

White privilege v. 453, not having the police called on you when you golf too slowly. And since one of the golfers in the group behind them said they were keeping pace, maybe it's actually just the privilege of not having the police called for playing golf at any speed.
    Unbelievable.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Not enough details. There have been times when I’ve wanted to call in the National Guard when stuck behind a gaggle of meandering chowderheads. Who plays in groups of five anyway?

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    Not enough details. There have been times when I’ve wanted to call in the National Guard when stuck behind a gaggle of meandering chowderheads. Who plays in groups of five anyway?
    True. The article didn't mention all the times the owner of the course called the cops when he thought white people were playing too slowly...

True. The article didn't mention all the times the owner of the course called the cops when he thought white people were playing too slowly...
    What would be the point of that?
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

A fivesome holding up play should be shot! What kind of club would allow this? At the club I’m a member at if your a fivesome you better be fast, if you were to hold anyone up you would be forced to let everyone play thru or break up. And not allowed to do it again.

im not sure the cops would be called, unless the group didn’t listen to the ranger or other club personnel.

im wondering if there is more to this story?

Thread Information