Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: White privelege v. 452

Maybe I've missed it but I didn't see anything in the article about the callers motivation, everything you've mentioned is speculation by anonymous commenters and your own further speculation based theirs. I'd be interested in additional facts before making up my mind, but that's me.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    Maybe it’s just me but if i was concerned for her welfare i wouldnt have called the police, i would have said ‘hey! You ok?’
    Maybe they did. Details are extremely sparse.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    If you read the comments, some of the defenders of the caller actually use the defense, "Well, you know, Yale is in a very dangerous area of New Haven."
    When I was looking at colleges, I got about two blocks from the New Haven train station walking to the university, turned around, and got back on the train - it looked like a war zone. This was some time ago. Modern-day statistics indicate it isn't a garden spot still, crime-wise.

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    When I was looking at colleges, I got about two blocks from the New Haven train station walking to the university, turned around, and got back on the train - it looked like a war zone. This was some time ago. Modern-day statistics indicate it isn't a garden spot still, crime-wise.
    I know. I grew up just west of New Haven. I'm well aware of its problems. But that still doesn't justify assuming a black person on campus is a threat.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Wow.

“You’re in a Yale Building and we need to make sure that you belong here,” one of the officers said to Siyonbola.

In other words, "You're black so you're obviously not a Yalie."

Wow.
    another hyberbolic post by the victim crowd.

did you watch her video? The facts I got from her own video were:

1) she was sleeping in an area of the dorm where sleeping is not allowed
    2) a fellow student called the police because of the sleeping
    3) police come, ask politely for ID which she gives up politely
    4) ID does not match anything in the student database and suspicion grows

i dont find anything wrong with “need to make sure you belong here ” since thats what i look out for on my block. Someone sitting on the steps of my neighbor’s house? Do they belong here? Someone sleeping in my garage doorway in the alley, do they belong here? Someone sitting inside my car, looking through the glove compartment. Hell no he doesnt “belong here.”

All of these things took place within tje past few weeks on my block and yes, these were all African American persons who—guess what—“dont belong here” i.e. were trespassing.

While we are encouraged to call the cops in these instances,
    we called only in the last instance because I am retired, and have the time to monitor this behavior by openly staring at the interlopers and making sure they see me. When they dont belong here, they move on.

Now, I dont know why this woman’s fellow student called the cops. If she didnt know the sleeper after nearly an academic year of living in the same building, that was justified. It too bad. But I suspect that the caller didnt want to confront the sleeper herself. I see a lot of this in my neighborhood, complaints from people about the behavior of others, but they are completely u willing to nicely point out that such and such behavior is not allowed. They escalate to blasting on social media or calling the cops.

I know. I grew up just west of New Haven. I'm well aware of its problems. But that still doesn't justify assuming a black person on campus is a threat.
    I didn't say it did, I was merely commenting on the post-Dresden-firebombing aesthetic of New Haven.

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    I didn't say it did, I was merely commenting on the post-Dresden-firebombing aesthetic of New Haven.
    I get it. You just have to know the right roads into town.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    Maybe they did. Details are extremely sparse.
    If they did i seriously doubt they would have called the police. The woman was asleep not comatose.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    another hyberbolic post by the victim crowd.

did you watch her video? The facts I got from her own video were:

1) she was sleeping in an area of the dorm where sleeping is not allowed
    2) a fellow student called the police because of the sleeping
    3) police come, ask politely for ID which she gives up politely
    4) ID does not match anything in the student database and suspicion grows

I question #2 "because of the sleeping." Honestly, I know this is not based on facts presented in this case, but I truly feel that if that woman had been white there is no way the other woman would have made the call. In fact, apparently, this is not the first time she's called the police on a BPOC (black person on campus).

Whether legally this was fine or not, I do not know any one in my white WASP-y community who ever was questioned about "being in the right place." And I'm pretty old. And I have a feeling that if I were a black living in a black community I'd have a different answer at this stage of my life.

I can’t help but notice that a high proportion of these twitchy incidents seem to occur at the ivies, ivy-adjacents and ivy-wannabes. Places like Yale, Duke, Princeton, Clemson, etc.

You don’t hear as much coming out of the Big Ten educational feedlots such as I attended. I wonder why that is. Are they not firing baristas for uncensored Spotify playlists in flyover schools, or are we just not hearing about it?

Thread Information