Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I'm taking a carpentry course!

I'm taking a carpentry course!

Carpentry is the number 1 skill set I regret not having, and I've always been a little bit bitter about getting placed in Home Ec rather than Shop based on my gender back in Junior High. So opportunity knocked, and I've signed up for an adult ed carpentry class that begins next week. DH is going to go with me, and maybe my sister if she can rearrange her work schedule. We will be making folding BBQ tables as our class project (not exactly sure what that is, but hopefully we can put 3 of them to good use). Anyway, I am pretty excited and will keep you guys posted!

Quote Originally Posted by rosarugosa View Post
    Carpentry is the number 1 skill set I regret not having, and I've always been a little bit bitter about getting placed in Home Ec rather than Shop based on my gender back in Junior High. So opportunity knocked, and I've signed up for an adult ed carpentry class that begins next week. DH is going to go with me, and maybe my sister if she can rearrange her work schedule. We will be making folding BBQ tables as our class project (not exactly sure what that is, but hopefully we can put 3 of them to good use). Anyway, I am pretty excited and will keep you guys posted!
    This is really cool! Awesome!

Please update this and post pictures too, if you don't mind. I am very interested.

Nice! I did get to take shop in junior high and enjoyed most of it. Not that I've made anything with wood beyond a shim for something else...

I'd love to take a class in furniture refinishing. We have several pieces ready for it. I know I could watch YouTube videos and the like, but there's something about actually working with someone on a particular issue that videos do not address efficiently. I haven't found an adult ed course for that, however.

rosa, you'll have to take pictures of the finished tables and post them here!
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Yes, I'll be glad to share photos for better or for worse!

Yppej
    Good for you. It sounds like you are relishing your retirement.

Can't wait to hear how it goes. And, yes, this thread is useless without pics!

Sounds like fun!!

That's great Rosa. I fought taking home ec and was "allowed" to substitute art...no wood shop, metal shop or print shop for the girls in 1962.

Steve, I was lucky to have a mother who refinished furniture beautifully, I remember being told to come "feel the wood" when she finished sanding. I did several pieces when I was younger. Last time I used the citrus based stuff. Less toxic, but less aggressive.

Have fun. I keep wanting to take a welding class.

Thread Information